- LOUISIANA WILDLIFE & FISHERIES COMMISSION MEETING: 9:30 a.m., Waddill Outdoor Education Center, 4142 North Flannery Rd., Baton Rouge.
- JAN. 18 — ZACHARY CHAPTER DUCKS UNLIMITED BANQUET: 6 p.m., St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, 4724 McHugh Dr., Zachary, LA. Call Barry Hanks (225) 572-1886. Email: email@example.com.
- DEER/PRIMITIVE WEAPONS: Through Sunday (Dec. 30), State Deer Area 5, still-hunt only, either-sex allowed to be taken.
- DEER/MODERN FIREARMS/LAKE MAUREPAS AREA: Through Sunday (Dec. 30), bucks only, with or without dogs. Special area map: http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov.
- RAILS & GALLINULES: Statewide, through Jan. 2.
- DEER/MODERN FIREARMS: State Deer Area 3, through Jan. 6, either-sex season, still-hunt only.
- DEER/MODERN FIREARMS: State Deer Areas 1 & 8, through Jan. 6, either-sex season, with or without dogs.
- DEER/SPECIAL PLAQUEMINES-ST. BERNARD AREA/MODERN FIREARMS: Through Jan. 6, bucks only, with or without dogs.
- DOVES/NORTH & SOUTH ZONES: Third splits through Jan. 7.
- DEER/MODERN FIREARMS: State Deer Area 2, through Jan. 13, either-sex season, with or without dogs.
- DEER/MODERN FIREARMS/ATCHAFALAYA BASIN: Through Jan. 13, bucks only, with or without dogs.
- DEER/ARCHERY: State Deer Areas 3 & 8 through Jan. 15; State Deer areas 1, 2, 4, 5 & 7 through Jan. 31. Deer Area 6 & Special Atchafalaya Basin/I-10 south (Oct. 1-15, bucks only) through Feb. 15. Either-sex deer allowed to be taken except where noted. Special license required: $10.50 for residents (ages 16-59); $26 for nonresidents (16 and older).
- DUCKS/WEST ZONE: Second split through Jan. 20. Includes ducks, coots (poule d’eau) & mergansers.
- DEER/MODERN FIREARMS: State Deer Area 6, through Jan. 20, either-sex season, with or without dogs. Note: The special Lake Maurepas area, Plaquemines Parish and portion of St. Bernard Parish are excluded from State Deer Area 6 dates.
- DUCKS/COASTAL ZONE: Through Jan. 20, second split. Includes ducks, coots (poule d’eau) & mergansers.
- CANADA GEESE/WEST ZONE: Second split through Jan. 21.
- DUCKS/EAST ZONE: Through Jan. 27, second split. Includes ducks, coots (poule d’eau) & mergansers.
- GEESE/EAST ZONE: Through Jan. 27, second split. Open to take speckledbelly, Canada, blue, snow & Ross’ geese.
- WOODCOCK: Statewide through Jan. 31.
- CANADA GEESE/COASTAL ZONE: Second split through Jan. 31
- GEESE/COASTAL & WEST ZONES: Through Feb. 3, second split. Open to take speckledbelly, blue, snow & Ross’ geese.
- SQUIRRELS/RABBITS/QUAIL: Statewide through Feb. 28.
- SNIPE/EAST, WEST & COASTAL WATERFOWL ZONES: Second split through Feb. 28.
- NOTE: Deer tags are required for all hunters no matter their ages for taking deer in Louisiana. Tags must be affixed to the deer before taking it from the field. State basic & big-game licenses needed for deer hunters. Special stamp needed to take deer on wildlife management areas.
OPENED & CLOSED
- CLOSED: Elmer’s Island area; Recreational red snapper, gray triggerfish & commercial king mackerel, gray triggerfish., state and federal waters.
- CLOSED: Effective sunset Dec. 20, fall shrimp season, Lake Pelto, Terrebonne & Timbalier bays. Inside waters only.
- OPEN: State Fall Inshore Shrimp season (all inshore waters), but closed in Elmer’s Island-Fourchon area; recreational amberjack season; Effective Dec. 18, closed inshore/state offshore waters Caillou Boca west to Atchafalaya River; then, Jan. 7 closure Atchafalaya River west to Freshwater Bayou.
Have An outdoors item or event? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved