Cancer Services of Greater Baton Rouge, 550 Lobdell Ave., will hold the following free events this week:
- “YogaThrive: Yoga for Cancer Survivors” will be at 10:30 a.m. Monday at The Red Shoes, 2303 Government St. Registration is required.
- “Fit & Fearless,” an exercise program for cancer survivors, will be at 5:15 p.m. Monday at BREC Independence Park, 7500 Independence Blvd. Registration is required.
- West Feliciana Parish Support Group will meet at noon Wednesday at First United Methodist Church, 9856 Royal St., St. Francisville.
- Single Survivors will hold a networking meeting at noon Wednesday at the office.
- After Hours Cancer Support Group will meet at 6 p.m. Wednesday at the office. Topic will be “Introduction to a Cancer Diagnosis.”
- “Zumba Gold” will meet at 9:30 a.m. Thursday at BREC Independence Park. Registration is required.
- St. James Parish Support Group will meet at 12:15 p.m. Thursday at Sacred Heart Church, 616 Main St., Gramercy.
- “Fit & Fearless: Total Body Workout,” an exercise program for cancer survivors, will be at 5:15 p.m. Thursday at BREC Independence Park. Registration is required.
- Holistic Healing will meet at noon Friday at the office.
For more information, call (225) 927-2273.
The following HIV services will be offered this week:
- Metro Health will offer free, confidential HIV testing from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday at the Dr. Leo S. Butler Community Center, 950 East Washington St. Syphilis testing will be conducted from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday. Metro Health will also offer testing from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday, 9 a.m. to noon Thursday and 8:30 a.m. to noon Friday at the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center, 4000 Gus Young Ave. For more information, call (225) 338-9333.
- Family Service of Greater Baton Rouge, 4727 Revere Ave., will offer fFree, confidential HIV testing and counseling fwill be from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday andMonday through Thursday at the office. For more information, call (225) 927-9810 or visit http://www.fsgbr.org.
Family Service of Greater Baton Rouge, 4727 Revere Ave., will offer counseling services for children, individuals and families who need help with a wide range of emotional, behavioral and relationship problems from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday and 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday.
Fee is based on a sliding scale. Private insurance and Medicaid are accepted. Call (225) 924-0123.
Alzheimer’s Services of the Capital Area, 3772 North Blvd., will hold the following caregiver network group meetings for caregivers and family members of people with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia: 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Wednesday at Amber Terrace, 8585 Summa Drive, and 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday at Pennington Biomedical Research Center, 6400 Perkins Road.
For more information, call (225) 334-7494.
Woman’s Hospital, 100 Woman’s Way (Airline Highway and Pecue), will hold the following events:
- “Prenatal Yoga” will be from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday and 10:15 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. Saturday at Destination Maternity, 5921 Bluebonnet Blvd. Cost is $12 per class.
- “Baby Steps,” a light exercise class for mothers to do with their babies, will be from 5:30 p.m. to 6:20 p.m. Thursday at Destination Maternity. Cost is $12 per class.
- “Strong Mamas,” an exercise class to prepare for pregnancy body changes, will be from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Destination Maternity. Cost is $12 per class.
- “Breastfeeding Tips for Moms On-the-Go” will be from 10:15 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Friday at Destination Maternity. Cost is $20.
- “Body Basics for Girls,” a class for girls ages 9-12 on what changes to expect during puberty, will be from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Saturday at the hospital, Conference rooms 1 and 2. Cost is $15.
- “Breastfeeding Basics” will be from 1:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at the hospital, Conference rooms 1 and 2. Cost is $35.
- “Here We Birth Again — Birth Refresher Class for Parents” will be from 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 6, at the hospital, Conference rooms 1 and 2. Cost is $25 per couple.
For more information or to register, call (225) 231-5475 or visit http://www.womans.org.
L.I.F.T. Bereavement Support Group will meet at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Greenoaks Reception Center, 9607 Florida Blvd. Chaplain Bill Brewer will lead the discussion. For more information, call (225) 925-5331.
Life Source Services
Life Source Services Hospice, 3049 S. Sherwood Forest Blvd., will offer the following events and opportunity this week:
- A grief support group will meet from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday at the office.
- A grief support group will meet from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Friday at La Plantation Retirement Community, 26635 La. 16 (Pete’s Highway) in Denham Springs.
- LSS is seeking volunteers for many of its projects. Call (225) 291-9421.
Baton Rouge General will hold a free session of Healthy Steps: Lebed Exercise Program, healing through dance and movement, from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Thursday at the Bluebonnet location, 8585 Picardy Ave. Call (225) 763-4050 to register.
The Epilepsy Foundation of Louisiana’s Baton Rouge Support Group will meet from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Thursday on the sixth floor of the NeuroMedical Center, 10101 Park Rowe Ave. The group is open to adults with epilepsy/seizure disorders, their family members, caregivers and anyone who would like to share their experiences and support those who are managing seizures. Parents of children with epilepsy are also invited. For more information, call (800) 960-0587.
The Louisiana Capital Area Chapter American Red Cross, 4655 Sherwood Common Blvd., will hold the following classes:
- “Adult First Aid/CPR/AED” will be from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Thursday at the office. Cost is $90. Another class will be offered Tuesday, Jan. 8.
- “Adult and Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED” will be from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at the office. Cost is $100.
For more information, call (225) 291-4533 or visit http://www.batonrouge.redcross.org.
The Hospice of BR
The Hospice of Baton Rouge, 9063 Siegen Lane, will offer the following event and opportunity this week:
- The hospice is holding a free grief support group session at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at Broadmoor United Methodist Church, 10230 Mollylea Drive, Adult Building, Room 104.
- The hospice is seeking volunteers for patient/caregiver support, health fairs and office assistance.
For more information, call (225) 767-4673.
The Diabetic Foot Institute, 5428 O’Donovan Drive, Suite D, will offer complimentary diabetic foot screenings on Friday. Screening will include thermal imaging, blood flow study, gait analysis and neuropathy screening. Call (225) 761-0025 to schedule.
Limb Up will meet at 1 p.m. Saturday at Florida Boulevard Baptist Church, 10915 Florida Blvd. The nonprofit group’s primary purpose is to provide support and encouragement to all amputees and their families. For more information, call (225) 270-3134.
Mary Bird Perkins-Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center will hold the following events:
- A free breast cancer screening will be from 10 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 8, at the LSU Mid City Clinic, 1401 North Foster Drive. To make an appointment or for more information, call (225) 215-1234.
- Free tobacco cessation group classes will begin Jan. 8 and will be held once a week for one hour. A free meal will be provided. For more information or to enroll, call (225) 215-1274.
Hospice Associates, 11745 Bricksome Ave., Suite A-1, is seeking direct-care volunteers for patient/caregiver support and companionship. Veteran volunteers are also needed for the We Honor Veterans program to share their life journey with veteran patients and their families. Training will be provided, and hours are flexible. For details, call (225) 218-1300.
Al-Anon Family Groups, a 12-step program to help those affected by someone’s problem drinking, holds meetings daily in the Baton Rouge area. There are no fees. Meetings are confidential. Call (225) 924-0029 or visit http://www.batonrougealanon.org.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved