Las Vegas, Nevada – Strikeforce welterweight champion and seasoned UFC veteran Nate Marquardt will defend his title against current No. 1 contender Tarec Saffiedine on Saturday, Jan. 12 as Strikeforce visits Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, Okla. In the night’s co-main event, Oklahoma State University All-American wrestler and Strikeforce Grand Prix heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier takes on kickboxing veteran Dion Staring. The event will air live on Showtime at 10 p.m. EST (delayed on the West Coast) as part of the premium network’s Free Preview Weekend.
This will mark the final Strikeforce event on Showtime.
“Since 2009, Showtime has been a great partner and we appreciate its support of Strikeforce and our athletes,” Scott Coker, Strikeforce CEO, said. “For our final event, we’ve loaded the card with some outstanding fights. This is going to be a memorable night for the sport of mixed martial arts.”
In addition to the main and co-main events, Strikeforce will also feature the following matchups that include several past champions and many of the sports top prospects:
- Former UFC heavyweight champion Josh Barnett meets Austrian powerhouse Nandor Guelmino
- Former light heavyweight champ Gegard Mousasi takes on the heavy-handed Mike Kyle
- Former middleweight champ “Jacare” Souza faces UFC star Ed Herman
- Top lightweight contender Pat Healy will be in action against an opponent yet to be determined
- Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt Roger Gracie takes on talented striker Anthony Smith at middleweight
- U.S. Army Ranger Tim Kennedy vs. Trevor Smith in a fight involving top middleweights
- Elite kickboxer KJ Noons meets second-generation star Ryan Couture in a lightweight matchup
- Cincinnati’s Jorge Gurgel is set to battle Brazilian prospect Adriano Martins at lightweight
- At lightweight, winner of four straight Estevan Payan vs. Team Alpha Male’s Michael Bravo
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved