Tomato Basil Soup
Serves 8. Recipe is by Helana Brigman.
4 lbs. vine ripe tomatoes
2 small yellow onions, sliced
½ cup chopped basil
6 cloves garlic, peeled, divided
½ cup extra virgin olive oil (basil olive oil if you have it)
Italian seasoning, to taste (about 1 to 2 tbls.)
Salt and pepper, to taste (I prefer Tony Chachere’s Original Creole Seasoning and cracked pepper)
1 quart chicken stock (about 4 cups)
2 to 5 bay leaves
4 tbls. butter
½ to ¾ cup heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Wash tomatoes, cut in half, and quarter.
2. Add quartered tomatoes to a roasting pan along with sliced onions, chopped basil, and half of the garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and season with Italian seasoning and salt and pepper, to taste.
3. Roast vegetables in oven until caramelized (about 20 to 30 minutes, depending on your oven).
4. Remove vegetables and cool for several minutes. Transfer to a food processor and process for about 10 to 15 seconds.
5. Meanwhile, add chicken stock, bay leaves, and butter to a large pot and bring to a boil. Add puréed tomato/basil/onion/garlic mixture and stir to combine. Bring to a second boil. Reduce heat and add cream. Taste and adjust spices according to personal preference. Serve immediately with crusty bread, or grilled cheese.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved