“About Town” column for Dec. 23, 2012
- EVENT: Kenilworth Civic Association’s “Lighting of the Luminaries.”
- DATE: Sunday.
- TIME: 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- PLACE: Kenilworth neighborhood, off Perkins Road, Baton Rouge.
- FOR MORE INFO: http://www.kenilworthneighborhood.com.
- DETAILS: The Kenilworth neighborhood will host the annual “Lighting of the Luminaries.” The subdivision is also decorated for its annual Christmas/holiday contest.
‘SKATING ON THE RIVER’
- EVENT: Baton Rouge River Center’s “Skating on the River.”
- DATE: Now until Jan. 2.
- PLACE: Baton Rouge River Center, 275 South River Road.
- FOR MORE INFO: (225) 389-4940.
- DETAILS: The center will have multiple skating sessions that are each 90 minutes long between now and Wednesday, Jan. 2, except on Christmas and New Years Day. Tickets are $12 each and include one session, skate rental, small candy and small Coke. Check http://www.brrivercenter.com for available session times.
- EVENT: BREC’s Baton Rouge Zoo’s “ZooLights 2012.”
- DATE: Now until Sunday, Dec. 30.
- TIME: 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.; zoo grounds close at 9 p.m.
- PLACE: BREC’s Baton Rouge Zoo, 3601 Thomas Road, Baker.
- FOR MORE INFO: http://www.brzoo.org.
- DETAILS: “ZooLights” is a mile-long trail through the zoo featuring more than 50 illuminated display sculptures of animals and traditional holiday displays. Admission is $5 for adults and teens, $4 for seniors and $3 for ages 2-12. Admission for Friends of the Zoo members is $3. “ZooLights” will be closed on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
‘SAFE RIDE HOME’
- EVENT: Mockler Beverage/Budweiser “Safe Ride Home.”
- DATE: Through New Years Day.
- TIME: 24 hours a day.
- DETAILS: Mockler Beverage/Budweiser will offer party-goers either a free tow home from Guy’s Towing at (225) 275-6411 or a free ride home from Yellow Cab at (225) 926-6400. Call for information about the area served. The service is only for those going home, and vehicles being towed must be in working condition.
- EVENT: “Introduction to Microsoft Word.”
- DATE: Thursday.
- TIME: 3:30 p.m.
- PLACE: East Baton Rouge Parish Eden Park Branch Library, 5131 Greenwell Springs Road.
- FOR MORE INFO: (225) 231-3250.
- DETAILS: Learn the basics of working in Microsoft Word. Registration is required.
- EVENT: Soft and Silly Snow Bunny.
- DATE: Thursday.
- TIME: 4:30 p.m.
- PLACE: East Baton Rouge Parish Pride-Chaneyville Branch Library, 13600 Pride-Port Hudson Road.
- FOR MORE INFO: (225) 658-1560.
- DETAILS: Children, ages 4 and older, will listen to “Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit.” Then, they will make their own soft and silly snow bunny. Registration is required.
- EVENT: Pointe Coupee Parish Historical Society’s “Last Friday Louisiana Film Series.”
- DATE: Friday.
- TIME: 7 p.m.
- PLACE: Julien Poydras Museum and Arts Center, 500 West Main St., New Roads.
- FOR MORE INFO: http://www.pointecoupeehistoricalsociety.org.
- DETAILS: Pointe Coupee Parish Historical Society will host its “Last Friday Louisiana Film Series,” which features movies made in Louisiana and about life in Louisiana on the last Friday of each month. This month’s movie is Ernest Gaines’ “The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman,” a 1974 movie starring Cicely Tyson. The movie won nine Emmy awards. Movies are free to attend. Popcorn and soft drinks will be available.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved