In New Orleans, Jefferson Parish and St. Tammany, our libraries double as community centers, where meetings are held, youngsters get help with homework and new skills are learned.
The Alvar branch library celebrates that sense of community every month during its Alvar Arts series, which presents artists to the community.
Alvar Arts’ gathering from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Thursday is both a musical event and a neighborhood potluck party. Local women’s band the Honeypots will perform, playing songs from their latest album, “Something Sweet,” along with traditional holiday music.
Snacks and beverages will be provided, but patrons are welcome to bring a dish to share. Sing-alongs and dancing will be encouraged.
The branch is at 913 Alvar St. Call (504) 596-2667 for more information.
A notable craft class
Also Thursday, from 3 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., the Mid-City branch will hold a class to teach adults and teens to make a notebook — a perfect last-minute homemade gift.
The free do-it-yourself workship is appropriate for folks 12 and older. Materials will be provided (first come, first served).
The Mid-City Branch is located in the American Can Building at 3700 Orleans Ave.
Call (504) 596-2654 for more information.
Solstice in the garden
Celebrate the winter solstice at 1 p.m. Saturday at the Lower Ninth Ward Street Library in cooperation with the New Orleans Public Library.
The celebration includes one-on-one reading, story-telling, crafts, free books and free seeds.
The gathering will be held in the Guerrilla Garden at Chartres and Charbonnet streets.
Libraries close for holidays
New Orleans public libraries will be closed for the holidays on Dec. 24, 25 and 31 and Jan. 1.
- 3014 Holiday Drive, (504) 596-2641
- STORYTIME: Tuesday, 10:30 a.m.; Saturday, 10:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
- YOUNG ADULT CRAFT (AGES 12-17): First Thursday, 4 p.m.
- COMPUTER EDUCATION SESSION: daily at 11 a.m. No appointment necessary.
- GUYS READ BOOK CLUB: Ages, 9-13; last Saturday of the month, 2 p.m.
- YOUNG ADULT HOMEWORK CLUB: ages 12-18, Wednesday, 3 p.m.
- 913 Alvar St., (504) 596-2667
- STORYTIME: Monday, 10 a.m. and Saturday, 1:30 p.m.
- BASIC COMPUTER TUTORING: By appointment
- CHESS WITH BERNARD PARUN: Fourth Thursday, 5 p.m.
- STITCH ’N’ BOOK KNITTING CIRCLE: second and fourth Saturday, 2:30 p.m.
CENTRAL CITY BRANCH
- 2405 Jackson Ave., Building C, Room 235, (504) 596-3110
- STORYTIME: Tuesday, 10 a.m.
- URBAN FICTION BOOK CLUB: Second Wednesday, 5 p.m.
- MOVIE FOR PRESCHOOLERS: Monday, 10 a.m.
CHILDREN’S RESOURCE CENTER
- 913 Napoleon Ave., (504) 596-2628
- STORYTIME: Wednesday, 10:30 a.m.
- STORY WITH CRAFT (AGES 4-8): Second and fourth Monday, 4:30 p.m.
- KIDS MOVIE MATINEE: Fourth Saturday, 1 p.m.
- LEGO CLUB (AGES 6-12): Second Saturday, 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
EAST NEW ORLEANS REGIONAL
- 5641 Read Blvd., (504) 596-0200
- STORYTIME: Tuesday, 10:30 a.m.
- BOOK CLUB: first Saturday, 2:30 p.m.
- 225 Morgan St., (504) 366-0657
- STORYTIME FOR TODDLERS: Thursday and Wednesday, 10:30 a.m.
- PAJAMA STORYTIME: Thursday, 5:30 p.m.
- COMPUTER TUTORING: By appointment
KELLER LIBRARY AND COMMUNITY CENTER
- 4300 S. Broad St., (504) 596-2660
- STORYTIME FOR TODDLERS AND BABIES: Monday, 10:30 a.m.
- COMPUTER TUTORING: Saturday, 10 a.m., by appointment
- READING TO ROVER: Second Thursday, 6 p.m.
- CITIZENSHIP CLASS: Sunday, 2 p.m.
- HOMEWORK HELP: Thursday and Tuesday, 4:30 p.m.
- ESL TUTORING: Thursday and Monday, 5 p.m.
- SPANISH CONVERSATION: Thursday and Monday. 6 p.m.
- COOKING WITH CRESCENT CITY FARMER’S MARKET: Wednesday, 5 p.m.
- CHESS CLUB: Thursday, 6:30 p.m.
- 1611 Caffin Ave., (504) 596-2695
- STORYTIME: Wednesday, 10 a.m.
- AFTER-SCHOOL MOVIE: Thursday, 3 p.m.
- POETRY WORKSHOP FOR ADULTS: Second Friday, 3 p.m.
- 5120 St. Charles Ave., (504) 596-2625
- STORYTIME: Tuesday, 10:30 a.m.; Wednesday, 6 p.m.
- FAMILY MOVIE: Second and third Sunday, 2 p.m.
- NEW ORLEANS HAIKU SOCIETY: Third Monday, 6 p.m.
- SEW HIP NOLA: Second Wednesday, 5:30 p.m.
- POETRY BUFFET: First Saturday, 2 p.m.
- 3700 Orleans Ave., (504) 596-2654
- STORYTIME WITH CRAFT: Tuesday, 10:30 a.m.
- CRAFTS FOR AGES 4-10: First Saturday, 2 p.m.
- HOMEWORK ASSISTANCE: Wednesday, 4-6 p.m.
- 1401 S. Carrollton Ave., (504) 596-2630
- STORYTIME: Wednesday, 5:30 p.m.
NORMAN MAYER BRANCH
- 3001 Gentilly Blvd., (504) 596-3100
- STORYTIME: Tuesday, 5:30 p.m.; Wednesday, 10:30 a.m.
- ROMANCE BOOK CLUB: Second Tuesday, 2:30 p.m.
- MYSTERY BOOK CLUB: Third Thursday, 5:30 p.m.
- WRITING WORKSHOPS LED BY YOUTHS (AGES 12-17): Thursdays, 5:30 p.m.
- SEWING (AGES 13-17): First Saturday, 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- 6301 Canal Blvd., (504) 596-2638
- STORYTIME: Saturday, 11 a.m.
- PRESCHOOLERS’ STORYTIME: Thursday,11 a.m.
- 219 Loyola Ave., (504) 596-2565
- HOLIDAY CRAFT: For kids and teens, in the African-American resource center, Saturday, 11 a.m.
- CHILDREN’S STORYTIME AND CRAFT, (AGES 5 AND UP): Saturday, 11:30 a.m.
- BABY JAM: Saturday, 10:30 a.m.
- TEEN VIDEO GAME DAY: First Saturday, 2 p.m.
- TEEN MOVIE: Second Saturday, 2 p.m.
- ANIME CLUB: Third Saturday, 2 p.m.
JEFFERSON PARISH LIBRARIES
- The Jefferson Parish libraries will have a break in programming from Dec. 16 to Jan. 5. Libraries will close Dec. 24, 25 and 31, and Jan. 1.
- FREE COMPUTER CLASSES: Call (504) 838-1144.
EAST BANK REGIONAL
- 4747 W. Napoleon Ave., Metairie, (504) 838-1190
- 219 Soniat Ave., Harahan, (504) 736-8745
- 1000 W. Esplanade Ave., Metairie, (504) 838-4375
NORTH KENNER BRANCH
- 630 W. Esplanade Ave., Kenner, (504) 736-8730
- The North Kenner branch is closed Thursday for air conditioning repairs.
OLD METAIRIE BRANCH
- 2350 Metairie Road, Metairie, (504) 838-4353
- 4036 Jefferson Highway, Jefferson, (504) 838-4350
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved