Chocolate Flan Cake
Serves 16 to 18. Recipe is from Irma Gremillion.
1 (18.25-oz.) box chocolate cake mix (I like Devil’s Food), made according to package instructions
½ to ¾ cup Cajeta de Leche OR Smucker’s caramel topping
1 (14-oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (12-oz.) can evaporated milk
½ cup fresh milk
1 (8-oz.) pkg. cream cheese (at room temperature)
1 tsp. vanilla
Garnish of toasted nuts or coconut, if desired
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large (at least 12-cup) tube pan or Bundt pan with nonstick coating. Also spray a piece of foil which will cover the top of the pan and set it aside.
2. Pour about ½ to ¾ cup of the caramel in bottom of sprayed cake pan.
3. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour the cake batter into the cake pan over the caramel.
4. To make Flan: In blender; pour condensed, evaporated and fresh milk, cream cheese, vanilla and eggs. Mix well. Pour the flan mixture very slowly over the cake batter.
5. Cover the pan with the foil you sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, sealing edges tightly.
6. Set the tube pan into the larger pan and slide in oven. Carefully pour hot water into the larger pan to a depth of about 2 inches. (Tube pan is sitting in 2 inches of hot water.)
7. Bake cake for 2 hours; do not peek or uncover during this time.
8. Remove cake from oven; remove foil and place on baking rack to cool, in pan, for 1½ hours. Invert cake onto a large, flat cake plate with rim (by placing cake plate on top of cake pan and carefully flipping). The caramel will drip down the sides of the cake. Cool, then cover and refrigerate until chilled or overnight.
Copyright © 2015, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved