Fresh Creamed Turnips
Serves 6. Recipe is from Corinne Cook.
About 2½ lbs. small to medium turnips (about 7 or 8)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
2 tbls. butter
2 tbls. flour
1 tsp. salt or to taste
Black pepper to taste
1½ cups milk
½ to ¾ cup grated Cheddar cheese
¾ cup bread crumbs
Fresh chopped parsley for garnish, optional
1. Peel and dice turnips. In medium saucepan, add about 1 inch of water. Stir in salt and sugar and bring to boil. Add turnips, cover and cook for about 12 minutes or until just tender; drain.
2. In separate saucepan, melt butter and blend in flour, salt and pepper. Over low heat, gradually whisk in milk, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Add the grated cheese. Taste for seasoning.
3. In 1½-quart baking dish, layer turnips, then cheese sauce. Sprinkle bread crumbs over the top.
4. Bake in preheated 350-degree oven for about 15 minutes or until heated through.
5. Garnish top with fresh chopped parsley if desired.
Copyright © 2015, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved