Makes about 3 to 4 dozen. Recipe adapted by Beth Colvin.
3 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup butter-flavored Crisco, softened
11/2 cups white sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
Zest of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and Crisco until creamy and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat until well incorporated. Add the eggs, one at a time, then lemon juice, zest and vanilla.
3. Remove bowl from mixer and fold in the flour until just incorporated. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill about 30 minutes.
4. Scoop up about 2 teaspoons of dough per cookie and roll into a ball. Place the balls on baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
4. Bake until cookies are just set and beginning to brown at the edges, or about 8 minutes. Do not overbake; these burn quickly. Cool on baking sheets before removing to finish cooling on racks.
Editor’s note: This recipe was corrected Dec. 10, 2012.
Copyright © 2016, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved