The Week in Arts for Dec. 2
A compilation of arts events for the week ahead.
SUNDAY, DEC. 2
- A RURAL LIFE CHRISTMAS: 8:30 a.m.-6 p.m., LSU Rural Life Museum, Essen Lane. A 19th century-style Christmas celebration. $7, per person; free, children 10 and younger.
- GARDEN DISTRICT ARTS WALK: noon-4 p.m., begins at 1622 Bloun St. Featuring artists Tommy Lorio, Mark Carroll, Babeth Schlegel and Erskine Mitchell. (504) 400-5196.
- FIRST SUNDAY: 1 p.m.-4 p.m., Louisiana Art & Science Museum, 100 River Road S. Free admission to the LASM galleries and reduced admission to planetarium shows.
- FREE FIRST SUNDAY: LSU Musuem of Art, fifth floor, Shaw Center for the Arts, 100 Lafayette St. Free admission into the museum.
- WEST BATON ROUGE MUSEUM CHRISTMAS OPEN HOUSE: 2 p.m.-4 p.m., 845 N. Jefferson, Port Allen. Celebrate a Cajun Night Before Christmas with Papa Noel riding in a pirogue pulled by alligators and watch open hearth cooking demonstrations. Aillet House will have a traditional 19th century holiday tableaux. Pony rides. Free. (225) 336-2422.
- HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS: 3 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., Baton Rouge River Center Theatre for the Performing Arts. Performance by the Baton Rouge Symphony Orchestra with the Baton Rouge Symphony Chorus. $20, adults; $10, children.
MONDAY, DEC. 3
TUESDAY, DEC. 4
WEDNESDAY, DEC. 5
- ST. JOSEPH’S ACADEMY FALL DANCE CONCERT: 6:30 p.m., Manship Theatre, Shaw Center for the Arts, 100 Lafayette St. Works in classical ballet, modern jazz, and contemporary by family member Kris Cangelosi. $8.
- LISTENING ROOM: 7:30 p.m., Hartley/Vey Studio, Shaw Center for the Arts, 100 Lafayette St. Performance by John Hébert and his trio. Reservations recommended. $10. (225) 344-8558 ext. 222 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
THURSDAY, DEC. 6
- ’TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS: 7 p.m., Reilly Theatre, Tower Drive, LSU campus. Playmakers of Baton Rouge’s holiday production. Pay-what-you-can night. (225) 578-6996 or http://www.playmakersbr.org
- A CHRISTMAS CAROL: 7:30 p.m., Baton Rouge Little Theater, 7155 Florida Blvd. Pay-what-you can night. Suggested donation, $5. (225) 924-6496 or http://www.brlt.org.
FRIDAY, DEC. 7
- CLASSIC HOMES TOUR AND COCKTAILS: 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., beginning on the terrace of the Kress Building on Third Street. A benefit soiree by the Foundation for Historical Louisiana. Advance tickets, $30 for foundation members and $35 for nonmembers; $40, night of the event. (225) 387-2464 or http://www.fhl.org.
- ’TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS: 7 p.m., Reilly Theatre, Tower Drive, LSU campus. Playmakers of Baton Rouge’s holiday production. $15.
- LIVINGSTON PARISH CHILDREN’S CHOIRS CHRISTMAS CONCERT: 7 p.m., Live Oak United Methodist Church, 34890 La. 16, Watson. $5. http://lpccsing.org.
- A CHRISTMAS CAROL: 7:30 p.m., Baton Rouge Little Theater, 7155 Florida Blvd. Opening night. $25. (225) 924-6496 or http://www.brlt.org.
SATURDAY, DEC. 8
- ’TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS: 11 a.m. and 2 p.m., Reilly Theatre, Tower Drive, LSU campus. Playmakers of Baton Rouge’s holiday production. $15.
- THEY SING CHRISTMAS UP IN HARLEM: 7 p.m., State Police Academy Auditorium, 7901 Independence Blvd. UpStage Theatre Company production. $20. (
- A CHRISTMAS CAROL: 7:30 p.m., Baton Rouge Little Theater, 7155 Florida Blvd. $25.
- BALLET HISPANICO WITH THE AFRO LATIN JAZZ ORCHESTRA: 7:30 p.m., Mahalia Jackson Theater for the Performing Arts, 1419 Basin St., New Orleans . $20-$80. (800) 745-3000,
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved