Livingston Parish Calendar for Nov. 29, 2012
- HOLIDAY PHOTOS: 9:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., Watson Library Branch, 36581 Outback Road. For more information, call (225) 664-3693.
- PRESCHOOL STORY TIME: 10 a.m., Albany-Springfield Library Branch, 26941 La. 43. For more information, call (225) 567-1441.
- BLOOD DRIVE: 2:30 p.m. to 7 p.m, Denham Springs Junior High School, 401 Hatchell Lane. Anyone 18 or older invited to participate. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SOUTH BRANCH BOOKIES: 5:30 p.m., South Library Branch, 23477 La. 444. For more information, call (225) 698-3015.
- WOW VOLUNTEER MEETING: 6 p.m., Women Outreaching Women, 26876 4-H Club Road, Denham Springs. The Women Outreaching Women Volunteer Team will hold a meeting for anyone interested in volunteering with WOW or learning about how WOW helps the community. For more information, call (225) 791-3940 or email email@example.com.
- HOLIDAY CHEF'S EVENING: 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., the shops of Denham Springs Antique District. Denham Springs Main Street will present its annual Holiday Chef's Evening and Wine Tasting Event with local chefs preparing the food and the Republic National Distributing Company providing the wine. Tickets are advance sales only, $25 per person. All proceeds benefit Main Street Denham Springs. For tickets, visit Denham Springs Old City Hall in the Antique District. For more information, call (225) 664-3867 or (225) 665-2048.
- HOLIDAY PHOTOS: 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Watson Library Branch.
- RÉSUMÉ WORKSHOP: 10 a.m. to noon, Livingston Library Branch, 20390 Iowa St. For more information, call (225) 686-2436.
- THE ELVIS EXPERIENCE: 6:30 p.m., Carter Plantation Magnolia Ballroom, 23475 Carter Trace, Springfield. "The Elvis Experience" will benefit the Historic Carter House Society, Inc. and will have a cash bar, dinner at 7:30 p.m. and a show/dancing from 8:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. Tickets are $60 each. The dinner will have three courses and comes with a glass of wine. HCHS is a nonprofit organization working to restore the Carter House in Carter Plantation. For more information, call (225) 747-0660 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DS CHRISTMAS PARADE DEADLINE: The deadline to register for the 2012 Denham Springs Christmas Parade is Friday. Parade applications are available by contacting the Livingston Parish Chamber of Commerce at (225) 665-8155 or http://www.livingstonparishchamber.org. The entry fee is $75 for chamber members and $100 for others. This year's parade theme is "A Cartoon Christmas" and will feature Scott Innes, the voice of Scooby Doo, Shaggy and Scrappy Doo, as Grand Marshal. The parade will also have sponsorships for the first time to showcase local businesses. It will roll at 2 p.m. Dec. 8.
- ABC ANGELS TOY DRIVE DEADLINE: ABC Angels, 680 Centerville St., Denham Springs. The deadline to make a donation to ABC Angels' toy drive is Friday. ABC Angels is a local nonprofit organization planning a Christmas project for children with disabilities and developmental delays who are from low-income families. New and unwrapped clothing and toy donations are needed. Monetary donations to purchase toys are also welcome. Participants should drop off donations at ABC Angels. For more information, call (225) 456-3771 or (225) 667-4014.
- BIG DOG GARAGE SALE: 8 a.m. to noon, Pet Aid, 933 Florida Blvd., inside the warehouse next to the beauty school. The "Big Dog Garage Sale" will benefit the Denham Springs Animal Shelter, which has numerous dogs, puppies, cats and kittens waiting to be adopted. To make a donation over the phone or for more information, call (225) 938-3215.
- BLOOD DRIVE: 8:30 a.m. to noon, UBS Bus at Shady Bower Church, 13375 Galloway Garden Lane, Walker. To sign up, visit http://www.bloodhero.com and enter sponsor code: shady. Every donor will get a special gift.
- CROCHET SERIES: 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., Arts Council of Livingston Parish, 133 Hummell St., Denham Springs. The series is for beginners and those who want a refresher who are 13 years old or older. The series is broken up into three classes and costs $75. To register or for more information, call (225) 664-1168.
- BEGINNERS' KNITTING SERIES: 10:30 a.m. to noon, Arts Council of Livingston Parish. The series has three classes and costs $75. It is open to those who are 13 years old or older. To register or for more information, call (225) 664-1168.
- CHRISTMAS TEA: 10:30 a.m., Walker Baptist Church's Fellowship Hall, 10696 Florida Blvd., Walker. The Walker Baptist Women's Ministry will host "Christmas Tea in the Woodlands." All ladies are invited. For more information, call (225) 665-8368.
- BENEFIT FOR LYNWOOD CLARK: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Walker Pentecostal Church, 9969 Florida Blvd. The benefit will raise funds for Lynwood Clark, a cancer patient, by selling jambalaya cooked by Dennis and Darlene Lott. For more information, call (225) 938-0282.
- TWEEN HOLIDAY SOAP MAKING: 11 a.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch, 8101 U.S. 190. Tweens are invited to make holiday-shaped soap, bath fizzies and packaging to put the bath gifts in. For more information, call (225) 665-8118.
- CHRISTMAS IN WALKER: 1 p.m., downtown Walker. The Christmas celebration will start with a parade. After the parade, the celebration will continue with the Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony at dusk. At 6 p.m., Sidney Hutchinson Park will become Walker Wonderland with thousands of lights and animated displays. The park will also have Movies Under the Stars featuring family-friendly movies from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. nightly through Dec. 31. Admission is free. Entry forms for the parade are at http://christmas.walker.la.us/parade.html.
- COUNTRY CHRISTMAS: 7 p.m., Old South Jamboree, off U.S. 190 between Denham Springs and Walker. The "Old Time Country Christmas" will feature traditional Christmas music with a country flair as well as current country Christmas songs. The event is free.
- WINTER WONDERLAND FESTIVAL: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., St. Joseph Catholic Church, 15710 La. 16, French Settlement. The fourth annual "St. Joseph Catholic Church Winter Wonderland Food Festival: A Taste of French Settlement" will have a variety of food, more than 40 craft booths, a car show and activities for children including hay rides, face painting, inflatables and pictures with Santa. Inflatables are $3 and Santa pictures are $5. Plates of food are $7 each. The festival will also feature music from GraceNotes and the St. Joseph Children's Bell Choir, the lighting of the church's campus and fireworks. GraceNotes will play at 3 p.m. followed by the St. Joseph Children's Bell Choir at 4 p.m. The lighting of the campus will be at 5:30 p.m. followed by fireworks at 6 p.m.
- HONEY BEE FESTIVAL PAGEANT: 10 a.m., Walker High School gym, 12646 Burgess Ave., Walker. The age divisions for the ninth annual "Louisiana Honey Bee Festival" pageant are 0-11 months, 12-23 months, 2 years, 3 years, 4-5 years, 6-8 years, 9-11 years, 12-14 years, 15-17 years and 18-23 years. Entry fee is $40. Proceeds will go to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. To register or for more information, email email@example.com or call (225) 969-6403.
- 2012 TOUR OF HOMES: 1:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., luxury homes in the Denham Springs/Watson area. The Family Resource Clinic will hold its 15th annual "Christmas Tour of Homes" where participants can tour luxury homes and enjoy refreshments. The homes on tour are Ronald and Peggy Langlois on Little Wood Drive, Terry and Candy Borne on Pine Graves Road, Todd and Sandra Quirk on Carnoustie Way, and Ryan and Jamie Crane on Chateau Jon. Tickets are $12 in advance and $15 on the day of the event. To purchase tickets, visit Wholly Ground in Walker, Silks and Crafts in Denham Springs or Family Resource Clinic in Livingston.
- BABY AND TODDLER STORY TIME: 9:45 a.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
- ADULT BOOK CLUB: 10 a.m., Albany-Springfield Library Branch. Members will discuss "The Christmas Train" by David Baldacci.
- PRESCHOOL STORY TIME: 10:30 a.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
- YAHOO EMAIL: 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., Waton Library Branch.
- HOLIDAY GADGET SHOPPERS' GUIDE: 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch. Patrons can browse various vendors displaying new and innovative devices and get answers to questions regarding Overdrive, OneClickDigital and Zinio.
- STORY TIME: 10 a.m., Watson Library Branch.
- STORY TIME: 10 a.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
- TEEN BOOK CLUB: 6 p.m., Albany-Springfield Library Branch. Members will discuss "The True Meaning of Smekday" by Adam Rex.
- TEEN ANIME/MANGA CLUB MEETING: 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., Livingston Library Branch.
- DRINKING WATER PROTECTION MEETING: 6 p.m., City Hall Conference Room, 941 Government Drive. The Livingston Parish Drinking Water Protection Program will hold its first committee meeting. The public is invited.
- GIRL SCOUT MEETING: 6:30 p.m., Watson Library Branch. The meeting is for Troop 10486.
- STORIES, SONGS AND MORE: 10 a.m., Livingston Library Branch.
- STORY TIME: 10 a.m., South Library Branch.
- AUTISM NETWORK GROUP: 6:30 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch. Group meets the first Wednesday of every month.
- PRESCHOOL STORY TIME: 10 a.m., Albany-Springfield Library Branch.
- CRAFTY CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS: 5 p.m., Watson Library Branch.
- YOUNG WRITERS CLUB: 5 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
- NORTHSIDE'S 50TH BIRTHDAY: 5:30 p.m., Northside Elementary School gymnasium, 1090 Robbie St., Denham Springs. The birthday celebration is open to all former and current principals, teachers and students along with students' parents.
- OPEN MIC NIGHT: 5:30 p.m., Watson Library Branch.
- CHRISTMAS IN THE PINES: 6 p.m., Historic Macedonia Baptist Church, 34685 La. 1036, Holden. The annual celebration will include a live Nativity, music, food and fellowship. The event will also have congregational singing of traditional Christmas carols. For more information, call (225) 664-7411 or (225) 777-4772.
- GIRL SCOUT MEETING: 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., Livingston Library Branch. Troop 30980.
- ADULT WRITERS CIRCLE: 6:30 p.m., Denham Springs-Walker Library Branch.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved