A passerby warned the occupants of a burning home Saturday night that their house was on fire, getting them safely out before the Fire Department arrived to fight the blaze, a St. George Fire Department spokesman said.
St. George firefighters received the 911 call about 7:20 p.m. Saturday that the home at 14708 Winter Oak Ave., was ablaze, spokesman Eldon Ledoux said in a news release.
When firefighters arrived, the fire was burning through the roof, Ledoux said.
The fire started in the attic near the chimney, he said, and burned through the roof.
Virtually, the entire attic burned, Ledoux said, causing severe damage to the home.
Firefighters controlled the fire in about 30 minutes. No injuries were reported, Ledoux said.
Authorities arrested at least five people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show.
Those booked and the counts against them:
Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved