Police and Fire Briefs for Nov. 19, 2012

Baum fire causes
$300,000 in damage

A fire in a walk-in cooler at Baum’s Fine Pastries early Sunday caused $300,000 in damage to the store, a spokesman for the Baton Rouge Fire Department said.

When firefighters arrived at Baum’s, 8046 Florida Blvd., about 3 a.m., they found heavy smoke coming from an area around a cooler in the back of the building, spokesman Robert Combs said in a news release.

Firefighters contained most of the fire damage to the cooler, Combs said. However, the ceiling in the room where most of the baking is done received minor fire damage.

The rest of the business had light to extensive damage from smoke and water, the release says.

Fire causes $85,000 damage to apartment

An unattended pot on a stove caused a fire Saturday night that left $85,000 in damage to an apartment and contents on North Lobdell Avenue, a spokesman for the Fire Department said.

Firefighters arrived at Hawthorne Heights Apartment Complex, 2136 N. Lobdell Ave., Apt. 2404, at 5:16 p.m. and found flames coming out of several windows in the ground floor apartment, spokesman Robert Combs said in a news release.

Firefighters had the fire under control within 10 minutes and no one was injured, Combs said.

The fire damaged the kitchen, living room and bathroom while the rest of the apartment was damaged by heat, smoke and water, Combs said.

The other seven apartments in the building had minor smoke damage.

Authorities book 21 on suspicion of DWI

Authorities arrested at least 21 people suspected of driving while intoxicated in East Baton Rouge Parish and booked them into Parish Prison between 2:30 p.m. Saturday and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, booking records show.

Those booked and the counts against them:

Compiled from staff reports. To talk to a crime reporter at The Advocate, call (225) 388-0369.