Josie’s Cornbread Dressing
Serves 8-10. This recipe was featured in The Advocate’s “Christmas Shared” 1992 Food Focus show’s booklet. This was Greg Giamanco’s mother’s recipe and a favorite when we originally published it. The Giamancos were well-known restaurateurs in Baton Rouge for many years.
Cooking oil (as needed)
1 cup onions, finely chopped
½ cup bell pepper, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Cornbread cooked in a 8- or 9-inch pan, crumbled
¾ cup seasoned Italian bread crumbs plus about 1⁄3 cup for topping
1 bunch green onions, finely chopped
1 lb. ground beef
½ lb. lean ground pork
¼ cup grated Romano cheese
1 (13-oz.) can chicken broth
Louisiana hot sauce to taste
Salt and black pepper to taste
Parsley, finely chopped to taste
2 boiled eggs, finely chopped, optional
Butter for topping casserole
1. Sauté onions, bell pepper, celery and fresh garlic in small amount of oil until vegetables are tender. Add ground beef and ground pork and cook until meat is cooked through. If ground beef and pork contains too much fat, drain off excess fat.
2. Add chicken broth and cook for about 30 minutes. Add green onions and parsley. Mix and remove from heat.
3. Fold in Italian bread crumbs, crumbled cornbread, Romano cheese, chopped boiled eggs, salt, black pepper and hot sauce to taste. Be careful not to over salt.
4. Place seasoned cornbread mixture into baking dish or pan, top with seasoned bread crumbs and dot with butter. More cornbread may be added if mixture contains too much liquid. Don’t bake until ready to serve.
5. Bake in preheated 350-degree oven, uncovered, until lightly browned on top and heated through; about 30 minutes.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved