- ACROSS THE COURSE MATCH: Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. NRA-approved 200-, 300- & 600-yard tournament. Open to public. Fees, $12/adult, $5/junior (members), $15/adult, $5/junior (nonmembers). 80 rounds. Call Jay D. Hunt (985) 768-8469. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: http://www.PaloAltoGunClub.com.
THURSDAY, NOV. 22
- DEC. 6 — BATON ROUGE CHAPTER/DUCKS UNLIMITED BANQUET: 6 p.m., John M. Parker Ag Center, LSU, Baton Rouge. Tickets $50 singles, $20 Greenwings (youths), $400 corporate tables. Call (225) 572-4070. Website: http://LA.ducks.org.
AROUND THE CORNER
- NOV. 24 — FLY TYING AT BASS PRO SHOPS: 9:30 a.m.-noon, Conference Room, Bass Pro Shops, Denham Springs. Call Ron Brooks (225) 271-3100.
- NOV. 25 — SOUTH LOUISIANA HIGH-POWER CLUB MATCH: 8:30 a.m., Ascension Parish Sheriff’s Range, 9300 St. Landry Road Gonzales. Fee $12 members, $15 nonmembers, $5 juniors. $15 annual membership in Civilian Marksmanship Program. Call George Serrett; (225) 272-3538. Email: email@example.com.
- NOV. 26 — RED STICK FLY FISHERS FLY-TYING SESSION: 7 p.m., Bass Pro Shops, Denham Springs. Call Emmitt Simmons (225) 335-4596. Website: www.rsff.org
- NOV. 26 — FIN-ADDICT FLY FISHERS MEETING: 6:30 p.m., Spahr’s Restaurant, 1400 W. Tunnel Blvd, Houma. Call Stephen Robert (985) 850-0082. Website: finaddictflyfishers.blogspot.com.
- OPENED & CLOSED
- CLOSED: Elmer’s Island area.
- OPEN: State Fall Inshore Shrimp season (all inshore waters), but closed in Elmer’s Island-Fourchon area; recreational amberjack season.
- CLOSED-GULF OF MEXICO SEASONS: Recreational red snapper and gray triggerfish, state and federal waters and commercial king mackerel and gray triggerfish.
- DEER/PRIMITIVE FIREARMS: Through Friday, Nov. 16, State Deer Areas 1, 5 & 6, through Nov. 16. Either-sex deer take allowed. Note: There is no primitive firearms hunting days in the special (Hurricane Isaac) Lake Maurepas Area, Plaquemines Parish and a large portion of St. Bernard Parish (portion of State Deer Area 6) during this period.
- DUCKS/EAST ZONE: Saturday, Nov. 17, opening day, first split, through Dec. 2. Includes ducks, coots (poule d’eau) & mergansers.
- QUAIL: Saturday, Nov. 17, opening day, statewide, through Feb. 28.
- DEER/MODERN FIREARMS: Saturday, Nov. 17, opening day, State Deer Areas 1 & 6, still-hunt only, either-sex allowed to be taken except bucks only in Lake Maurepas area, through Dec. 7 in Areas 1 & 6, except through Dec. 2 on those lands in Area 6 in Lake Maurepas area. Note: These dates do not apply to Plaquemines Parish nor in portion of St. Bernard Parish because of Hurricane Isaac. Dates for this season in those two parishes are Nov. 23-25.
- DEER/MODERN FIREARMS/ATCHAFALAYA BASIN: Saturday, Nov. 17, opening day, still-hunt only, either-sex allowed to be taken, through Nov. 25.
- DEER/MODERN FIREARMS: Nov. 23-Dec. 23, State Deer Area 5, still-hunt only.
- DEER/MODERN FIREARMS: Through Nov. 25, State Deer Areas 3, 7 & 8 (still-hunt only).
- DOVES: South Zone, second split through Nov. 25. Daily limit is 15. Possession limit is 30. Hours are one-half hour before sunrise to sunset. North Zone third split Dec. 15-Jan. 7. South Zone third split Dec. 22-Jan. 7.
- DOVES/POINTE AUX CHENES WMA: Through Nov. 25, WMA’s Point Farm Unit, Dolphin Street off La. 55, Montegut. Access the dove field allowed by walking or boat during second split & Dec. 22-Jan. 7 third split. Nontoxic shot required south of the dove field gate. WMA’s dove-hunt hours one half hour before sunrise until noon. Call Shane Granier (504) 284-5264.
- DEER/PRIMITIVE FIREARMS: Nov. 26-30, State Deer Areas 3 & 8. Either-sex deer allowed to be taken.
- DEER/MODERN FIREARMS: Nov. 26-Dec. 30, State Deer Area 7, with or without dogs.
- DEER/MODERN FIREARMS/ATCHAFALAYA BASIN: Nov. 26-Dec. 7, bucks only.
- DUCKS/COASTAL ZONE: First split through Dec. 2. Includes ducks, coots (poule d’eau) & mergansers.
- GEESE/EAST & COASTAL ZONES: First split through Dec. 2. Canada, speckledbelly, blue, snow & Ross’ geese allowed.
- SNIPE: Statewide. First split through Dec. 3 in State Waterfowl East and Coastal zones. First split through Dec. 10 in State Waterfowl West Zone. Daily limit 8.
- DEER/MODERN FIREARMS: State Deer Area 2 (still-hunt only) through Dec. 5.
- DUCKS/WEST ZONE: First split through Dec. 9. Includes ducks, coots (poule d’eau) & mergansers.
- GEESE/WEST ZONE: First split through Dec. 9. Canada, speckledbelly, blue, snow & Ross’ geese allowed.
- RAILS & GALLINULES: Statewide, through Jan. 2.
- DEER/ARCHERY: State Deer Areas 3 & 8 through Jan. 15; State Deer areas 1, 2, 4, 5 & 7 through Jan. 31. Deer Area 6 & Special Atchafalaya Basin/I-10 south (Oct. 1-15, bucks only) through Feb. 15. Either-sex deer allowed to be taken except where noted. Special license required: $10.50 for residents (ages 16-59); $26 for nonresidents (16 and older).
- SQUIRRELS/RABBITS: Statewide through Feb. 28. Daily limit 8 for each species.
- NOTE: Deer tags are required for all hunters no matter their ages for taking deer in Louisiana. Tags must be affixed to the deer before taking it from the field. State basic & big-game licenses needed for deer hunters. Special stamp needed to take deer on wildlife management areas.
Have an outdoors item or event? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved