Roast Turkey With Mediterranean Rub
Serves 12. Recipe is from Butterball.
1 (14- to 16-lb.) turkey, thawed if frozen
1 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
1/4 cup ground dry lemon peel
4 tsps. sugar, granulated
4 tsp. sea salt
4 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1 tbls. dry oregano leaves
2 tsps. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Remove neck and giblets from turkey. Pat turkey dry with paper towels. Turn wings back to hold neck skin against back of turkey. Place turkey breast side up on flat rack in shallow roasting pan.
2. Roast turkey approximately 11/2 hours. Then, cover breast loosely with aluminum foil to prevent overcooking.
3. While turkey is cooking, combine parsley, lemon peel, sugar, salt, rosemary, oregano and peppers to make rub. Set aside.
4. Roast turkey another 11/2 hours, or until meat thermometer reaches 180 degrees when inserted into the deepest part of the thigh muscle. Let turkey stand 15 minutes before carving.
5. Sprinkle rub on sliced turkey or rub over entire turkey when it is removed from the oven.
Note: Recommend using rub within 24 hours for best results.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved