Roast Turkey With Spicy Rub
Serves 12. Recipe is from Butterball.
3 tbls. firmly packed light brown sugar
3 tbls. kosher salt or sea salt
3 tbls. paprika
2 tbls. chili powder
2 tsps. black pepper
2 tsps. roasted cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
2 tsps. garlic powder
2 tsps. crushed red pepper flakes
1 (12- to 14-lb.) turkey, thawed if frozen
6 tbls. canola oil, divided
1. Combine all ingredients except turkey and oil. Blend well. (May be prepared 2 to 3 days in advance. Store mixture in an airtight container at room temperature.)
2. Remove neck and giblets from body and neck cavities of turkey; refrigerate for another use or discard. Drain juices from turkey; pat dry with paper towels. Turn wings back to hold neck skin in place. Return legs to the tucked position, if untucked. Place turkey, breast side up, on flat rack in shallow roasting pan.
3. Brush outside of the turkey with half of oil; rub outside and inside cavity with spice mixture. Cover and refrigerate 12 hours or overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
5. Brush spiced turkey with remaining 3 tablespoons oil. Bake approximately 3 hours (follow cooking times according to package directions; times vary by size of turkey), or until meat thermometer reaches 180 degrees when inserted in thickest part of thigh. Remove turkey from oven.
6. Let turkey stand 15 minutes before carving.
Tip: For a spicier rub, increase crushed red pepper to 1 tablespoon and add 1 or 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved