- CCA/METRO NEW ORLEANS FALL FISHING SEMINAR: 5:30 p.m., Bent Marine, Metairie. Speakers: Dudley Vandenborre, C.T. Williams, Greg Schlumbrecht, Anthony Puglia, “Ahab” Broaddus, Peace Marvel. Donation $5.
- FALL CATCH-AND-EAT FLY FISHING TRIP: Louisiana marsh fly-fishing trip. Sponsored by Red Stick Fly Fishers, Baton Rouge. Registration required. Call Randy Leonpacher (225) 769-1895. Website: http://www.rsff.org.
- FLY TYING CLASS: 9 a.m.-noon, Ascension Parish Library, 708 S. Irma Blvd. Gonzales. No fee. Basics of tying fresh and saltwater flies (Bendbacks, poppin’ bugs, crickets, spoon flies, sardines). Call Darrell Crawford (225) 644-7989.
- WAIVED FEES ON U.S. FOREST SERVICE DAY-USE SITES: Veterans Day weekend from the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement.
- Veterans Day
- RED STICK FLY FISHERS PROGRAM: 7 p.m., site TBA. Regular monthly program. Call Dan Weber (225) 767-2405. Website: http://www.rsff.org.
AROUND THE CORNER
- NOV. 17 — ACROSS THE COURSE MATCH: Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. NRA-approved 200-, 300- & 600-yard tournament. Open to public. Fees, $12/adult, $5/junior (members), $15/adult, $5/junior (nonmembers). 80 rounds. Call Jay D. Hunt (985) 768-8469. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: http://www.PaloAltoGunClub.com.
- NOV. 22 — Thanksgiving Day
- DEER/PRIMITIVE FIREARMS: Friday, Nov. 9, final day, State Deer Area 7.
- DUCKS/YOUTH WEEKEND: Saturday-Sunday, Nov. 10-11, state East Waterfowl Zone. Hunters 15 and younger. Youth hunters can take ducks, coots & mergansers. Daily limits apply.
- DUCKS/WEST & COASTAL ZONES: Saturday, Nov. 10, opening day, first split, through Dec. 2 in Coastal Zone & through Dec. 9 in West Zone. Includes ducks, coots (poule d’eau) & mergansers.
- RAILS & GALLINULES: Saturday, Nov. 10, opening day, statewide, through Jan. 2.
- GEESE/WEST & COASTAL ZONES: Saturday, Nov. 10, opening day, first split. Canada, speckledbelly, blue, snow & Ross’ geese, through Dec. 2 in Coastal Zone & though Dec. 9 in West Zone.
- DEER/PRIMITIVE FIREARMS: Saturday, Nov. 10, opening day, State Deer Areas 1, 5 & 6, through Nov. 16. Either-sex deer take allowed. Note: There is no primitive firearms hunting days in the Lake Maurepas Area, Plaquemines Parish and a large portion of St. Bernard Parish (portion of State Deer Area 6) during this period. Special Lake Maurepas Area regulations in the wake of Hurricane Isaac restricts days in portions of Ascension, Livingston, St. Charles, St. James, St. John the Baptist, St. Tammany and Tangipahoa parished. Website map: http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov.
- DUCKS/EAST ZONE: Saturday, Nov. 17, opening day, first split, through Dec. 2. Includes ducks, coots (poule d’eau) & mergansers.
- QUAIL: Saturday, Nov. 17, opening day, statewide, through Feb. 28.
- DEER/MODERN FIREARMS: Saturday, Nov. 17, opening day, State Deer Areas 1 & 6, still-hunt only, either-sex allowed to be taken except bucks only in Lake Maurepas area, through Dec. 7 in Areas 1 & 6, except through Dec. 2 on those lands in Area 6 in Lake Maurepas area. Note: These dates do not apply to Plaquemines Parish nor in portion of St. Bernard Parish due to Hurricane Isaac. Dates for this season in those two parishes are Nov. 23-25.
- DEER/MODERN FIREARMS/ATCHAFALALA BASIN: Saturday, Nov. 17, opening day, still-hunt only, either-sex allowed to be taken, through Nov. 25.
- DOVES: South Zone, second split through Nov. 25. Daily limit is 15. Possession limit is 30. Hours are one-half hour before sunrise to sunset. North Zone third split Dec. 15-Jan. 7. South Zone third split Dec. 22-Jan. 7.
- DEER/MODERN FIREARMS: Through Nov. 25, State Deer Areas 3 & 8 (still-hunt only).
- GEESE/EAST ZONE: Canada, speckledbelly, blue, snow & Ross’ geese. First split through Dec. 2.
- SNIPE: Statewide. First split through Dec. 3 in State Waterfowl East and Coastal zones. First split through Dec. 10 in State Waterfowl West Zone. Daily limit 8.
- DEER/MODERN FIREARMS: State Deer Area 2 (still-hunt only) through Dec. 5.
- DEER/ARCHERY: State Deer Areas 3 & 8 through Jan. 15; State Deer areas 1, 2, 4, 5 & 7 through Jan. 31. Deer Area 6 & Special Atchafalaya Basin/I-10 south (Oct. 1-15, bucks only) through Feb. 15. Either-sex deer allowed to be taken except where noted. Special license required: $10.50 for residents (ages 16-59); $26 for nonresidents (16 and older).
- SQUIRRELS/RABBITS: Statewide through Feb. 28. Daily limit 8 for each species.
- NOTE: Deer tags are required for all hunters no matter their ages for taking deer in Louisiana. Tags must be affixed to the deer before taking it from the field. State basic & big-game licenses needed for deer hunters. Special stamp needed to take deer on wildlife management areas.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved