Ascension Calendar for Nov. 15, 2012
- GOP Roundtable: 11:30 a.m., Brew-Bacher's Grill, 909 E. Ascension St., Gonzales. Muslim Brotherhood and the global Islamic insurgency is topic to be presented by Christopher Holton, vice president with the Center for Security Policy, a Washington D.C.-based national security think tank. The meeting is sponsored by Ascension Republican Women. Cost for the meal is $14. The Roundtable is open to the public and guests are welcome. Reservations are requested. Phone (225) 644-5728 or email: ARWrUS@aol.com
- Lap-sit Storytime: 10 a.m., Ascension Parish Library, Gonzales and Dutchtown. Preschool program.
- Bilingual Storytime : 11 a.m., Ascension Parish Library, Gonzales. Preschool program.
- Youth Program Thanksgiving Make & Take Craft Project: 4:30 p.m., Ascension Parish Library, Donaldsonville, Galvez and Gonzales. Youth craft program.
- Chevron Pattern: 6 p.m., Ascension Parish Library, Donaldsonville. "Let's Make a Scarf" craft project. Adult program.
- Thanksgiving Make & Take Craft Project: 6 p.m., Ascension Parish Library, Dutchtown. Youth program.
- Quotes and Brush Strokes: 6:30 p.m., Ascension Parish Library, Galvez. Adult program.
- Mayan Calendar Doomsday Prophecy: 6:30 p.m., Ascension Parish Library, Gonzales. LSU professor Mary Jill Brody, Department of Geography and Anthropology, will discuss the history of the Mayan calendar and the origin of other doomsday prophecies, as well as the modern Mayan people of Mexico. To register, call (225) 647-3955.
- Allergies and You: 6 p.m., St. Elizabeth Hospital's Sister Linda conference room. Program on Living with asthma and other allergic problems. Speaker is Dr. Lisa Le, pediatrician, St. Elizabeth Physicians. Free and registration preferred. Call (225) 621-2906
- Deadline for Christmas Crusade for children: Deadline to register for program offered by Ascension Parish Sheriff's Office. The program provides Christmas toys for children through age 12. Applications available at the Sheriff's Office in the Donaldsonville courthouse, Gonzales business office or Family Services Division office in Gonzales. For information, call Dep. Janet Fontenot at (225) 621-8318.
- Honoring Veterans Past and Present: 2 p.m., River Road African American Museum. Program starts with a performance by a jazz band at 2 p.m., followed by a reception at 4 p.m. for Tuskegee Airman Calvin Moret, of New Orleans. The movie "Red Tails" will be shown on an outdoor screen at 6 p.m., 406 Charles St., Donaldsonville. All members and families of the United States Air Force, Army, Marine Corps, Navy and National Guard will be honored on this evening. The Donaldsonville Air Force Junior ROTC will have a special salute to the U.S. troops. Call (225) 474-5553.
- Avenue Stroll: 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., Railroad Avenue, Donaldsonville. Shop, visit with authors, enjoy music by Van Broussard and other activities during the annual holiday event.
- Superhero Training Session: 10 a.m., Ascension Parish Library, Gonzales. The Ascension Parish Library in Gonzales will assist all potential superheroes in first through fourth grades. Design a superhero mask and create a superhero name. All superheroes are welcome to come in their own costumes. Report on Saturday, November 17, at 10 a.m. for training. Call (225) 647-3955 for more information.
- American Girl: 10 a.m. Meet American Girls Marie-Grace and Cecile from the popular book series during this program at the Ascension Parish Library, Dutchtown. Call (225) 673-8699 to register. The library will host an American Girl event featuring ideas from the various books in the Marie-Grace and Cecile series. Some French terms that were used during that time will be practiced, as well as a couple of games from that time period will be played. Then, a masque that the girls could have made to wear to the masquerade ball will be crafted. Register by calling (225) 673-8699. Space is limited.
- Extreme Esteem: 6 p.m., St. Elizabeth Hospital, Sister Linda and Sister Vernola conference rooms. Workshop for teens and their parents. Join St. Elizabeth Hospital and Ascension Counseling Center for this interactive workshop that will provide a session for teens led by a trained facilitator and a separate session for their parents. Free and registration preferred. Call (225) 621-2906
- Discovering Email: 6 p.m., Ascension Parish Library, Gonzales. Adult computer program.
- SCORE: By appointment, Ascension Parish Library, Gonzales. Free small-business counseling and mentoring program. To schedule an appointment, call (225) 381-7130 or toll-free (877) 381-7130.
- Toddler Storytime: 10 a.m., Ascension Parish Library, Galvez.
- Preschool Storytime: 11 a.m. Ascension Parish Library, Galvez.
- Sweet Dreams: 6:30 p.m., Ascension Parish Library, Donaldsonville. A toddler Storytime program for preschool children.
- SCORE: By appointment, Ascension Parish Library, Dutchtown. Free small-business counseling and mentoring program. To schedule an appointment, call (225) 381-7130 or toll-free (877) 381-7130.
- Toddler Storytime: 10 a.m., Ascension Parish Library, Gonzales, Donaldsonville and Dutchtown.
- Preschool Storytime: 11 a.m., Ascension Parish Library, Gonzales, Donaldsonville and Dutchtown.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved