Chocolate Praline Layer Cake
Serves 16. Recipe is from Pillsbury Hall of Fame Recipes.
For the cake:
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup whipping cream
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1 (1 lb. 2.25-oz.) pkg. Pillsbury Moist Supreme Devil’s Food Cake Mix
1 1/4 cups water
1⁄3 cup oil
For the topping:
1 3/4 cups whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. vanilla
16 pecan halves, if desired for decoration
16 chocolate curls, if desired for decoration
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees. In a small heavy saucepan, combine butter, 1/4 cup whipping cream and brown sugar. Cook over low heat just until butter is melted, stirring occasionally. Pour into two 9- or 8-inch cake pans; sprinkle evenly with chopped pecans.
2. In large bowl, combine cake mix, water, oil and eggs; beat at low speed until moistened. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Carefully spoon batter over pecan mixture.
3. Bake at 325 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans. Cool 1 hour or until completely cooled.
4. In small bowl, beat 13/4 cups whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form.
5. To assemble cake: Place 1 layer on serving plate, praline side up. Spread with half of the whipped cream. Top with second layer, praline side up, spread with remaining whipped cream. Garnish with pecan halves and chocolate curls. Store in refrigerator.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved