Outdoors calendar for Nov. 1, 2012
- LOUISIANA WILDLIFE & FISHERIES COMMISSION MEETING: 9:30 a.m., Grand Isle Marine Lab, 195 Ludwig Annex, Grand Isle.
- DELTA WATERFOWL/BATON ROUGE CHAPTER BANQUET: 6 p.m., American Legion Hall, 151 South Wooddale, Baton Rouge. Tickets $55, $75 couples, $25 youths, $160 sponsors, $650 corporate tables. Dinner, raffles, silent/live auction. Call Jonathan Walker (225) 810-3294/(225) 276-6380.
- FALSE RIVER COMMERCIAL NETTING SEASON: Opening day through Feb. 28, 2013. Suspends net ban on False River. Allows specified nets for commercial take of buffalo, catfish & carp.
- COASTAL FOREST TREE RESTORATION PROJECT: 9 a.m.-4 p.m. daily, Tammany Hills Pond, Mandeville. Volunteers to plant native trees, wetland vegetation in retention ponds for St. Tammany Parish coastal forest reforestation. Sponsored by Coalition to Restore Coastal Louisiana/St. Tammany Parish. Call Hilary Collis (225) 767-4181. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- EVERSTART SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP: 7:30 a.m. daily launch, Ouachita River, Forsythe Park, 2401 Sycamore St., Monroe. 3:30 p.m. weigh-in Thursday-Friday, Forsythe Park; 4 p.m. weigh-in Saturday-Sunday, Walmart 2701 Louisville Ave., Monroe. Top 40 Pro & Co-Angler qualifiers from five divisions. Pro champion wins $50,000 and berth in the 2013 Forrest Wood Cup. Co-angler champion wins Ranger boat/90-horsepower outboard and berth in Forrest Wood Cup. Includes FLW Outdoors Expo noon-4 p.m. Sunday, Walmart. Website: http://www.FLWOutdoors.com.
- IFA KAYAK FISHING TOUR CHAMPIONSHIP: Safe daylight launch & afternoon weigh-ins, Gulf Outlet Marina, 255 Marina Road, Chalmette. Divisional qualifiers. Anglers meeting 5 p.m., Nov. 1, Sigur Covic Center, Judge Perez Drive, Chalmette. Sponsored by Hobie Fishing. Website: http://www.ifakayakfishingtour.com.
- EAST BATON ROUGE SHERIFF’S OFFICE HUNTER’S SIGHT-IN DAYS: 8 a.m.-3 p.m. daily, EBRSO Firearms Training Facility, 999 West Irene Road (west off U.S. 61, north of Scotlandville.) Hunting & sporting rifles only. No. muzzleloaders. Hunters must bring proper ammunition for each weapon, factory ammunition only, no reloaded ammo, and all weapons must be unloaded before arriving at the site. Range personnel will “zero” all weapons. Call Casey Rayborn Hicks (225) 389- 5091.
- SOUTHERN FLY FISHERS RENDEZVOUS: North Toledo Bend State Park, Zwolle. Sponsored by the Federation of Fly Fishers Gulf Coast Council. Call Kyle Moppert (225) 343-0867. Website: www.gulfcoastfff.org.
- MID RANGE RIFLE MATCH: Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. 600-yard prone match includes F-Class (any rifle, any sight, any support), FTR.223 and .308 with a bipod and conventional prone (any caliber). Website: http://PaloAltoGunClub.com.
SUNDAY, NOV. 4
- RETURN TO CENTRAL STANDARD TIME: 2 a.m.
- TOYOTA TUNDRA BASSMASTER WEEKEND SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP: Lake Sam Rayburn, Jasper, Texas. Boaters/Co-anglers qualifiers from series’ divisional tournaments. Tournament through Saturday, Nov. 10. Winner gets berth in 2013 Bassmaster Classic. Website: http://www.weekendseries.com.
THURSDAY, NOV. 8
- CCA/METRO NEW ORLEANS FALL FISHING SEMINAR: 5:30 p.m., Bent Marine, Metairie. Speakers: Dudley Vandenborre, C.T. Williams, Greg Schlumbrecht, Anthony Puglia, “Ahab” Broaddus, Peace Marvel. Donation $5.
AROUND THE CORNER
- NOV. 9-10 &MDASH; FALL CATCH-AND-EAT FLY FISHING TRIP: Louisiana marsh fly-fishing trip. Sponsored by Red Stick Fly Fishers, Baton Rouge. Registration required. Call Randy Leonpacher (225) 769-1895. Website: http://www.rsff.org.
- NOV. 10 &MDASH; FLY TYING CLASS: 9 a.m.-noon, Ascension Parish Library, 708 S. Irma Blvd. Gonzales. No fee. Basics of tying fresh and saltwater flies (Bendbacks, poppin’ bugs, crickets, spoon flies, sardines). Call Darrell Crawford (225) 644-7989.
- NOV. 12 — Veterans’ Day.
- NOV. 22 — Thanksgiving Day.
- OPENED & CLOSED
- CLOSED: Elmer’s Island area.
- OPEN: State Fall Inshore Shrimp season (all inshore waters), but closed in Elmer’s Island-Fourchon area; recreational amberjack season.
- CLOSED-GULF OF MEXICO SEASONS: Recreational red snapper and gray triggerfish, state and federal waters and commercial king mackerel and gray triggerfish.
- DEER/MODERN FIREARMS: Through Friday,Nov. 2, State Deer Area 7 (still-hunt only).
- GOOSE/EAST ZONE: Saturday, Nov. 3, opening day. Open for Canada, speckledbelly, blue, snow & Ross’ geese. First split through Dec. 2.
- DEER/PRIMITIVE FIREARMS: Saturday, Nov. 3, opening day, State Deer Area 7, through Nov. 9.
- SNIPE: Saturday, Nov. 3, opening day, statewide. First split through Dec. 3 in State Waterfowl East and Coastal zones. First split through Dec. 10 in State Waterfowl West Zone. Daily limit 8.
- DUCKS/YOUTH WEEKEND: Saturday-Sunday, Nov. 3-4, state West & Coastal zones. Hunters 15 and younger. Youth hunters can take ducks, coots & mergansers. Daily limits apply. Nov. 10-11, state East Zone.
- YOUTH-ONLY DEER WEEKEND/MAUREPAS SWAMP WMA: Saturday-Sunday, Nov. 3-4. Bucks only.
- DOVES: North Zone, second split through Sunday, Nov. 4; South Zone, second split through Nov. 25. Daily limit is 15. Possession limit is 30. Hours are one-half hour before sunrise to sunset. North Zone third split Dec. 15-Jan. 7.
- DEER/MODERN FIREARMS: State Deer Area 2 (still-hunt only) through Dec. 5.
- DEER/MODERN FIREARMS: Through Nov. 25, State Deer Areas 3 & 8 (still-hunt only).
- DEER/ARCHERY: State Deer Areas 3 & 8 through Jan. 15; State Deer areas 1, 2, 4, 5 & 7 through Jan. 31. Deer Area 6 & Special Atchafalaya Basin/I-10 south (Oct. 1-15, bucks only) through Feb. 15. Either-sex deer allowed to be taken except where noted. Special license required: $10.50 for residents (ages 16-59); $26 for nonresidents (16 and older).
- SQUIRRELS/RABBITS: Statewide through Feb. 28. Daily limit 8 for each species.
- NOTE: Deer tags are required for all hunters no matter their ages for taking deer in Louisiana. Tags must be affixed to the deer before taking it from the field. State basic & big-game licenses needed for deer hunters. Special stamp needed to take deer on wildlife management areas.
Have an outdoors item or event? Email: email@example.com
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved