- SOUTH LOUISIANA HIGHPOWER CLUB MATCH: 8:30 a.m., Ascension Parish Sheriff’s Range, 9300 St. Landry Rd. Gonzales. Fee $12 members, $15 nonmembers, $5 juniors. $15 annual membership in Civilian Marksmanship Program.
- FIN-ADDICT FLY FISHERS MEETING: 6:30 p.m., Spahr’s Restaurant, 1400 W. Tunnel Blvd, Houma. Call Stephen Robert (985) 850-0082. Website: http://finaddictflyfishers.blogspot.com.
- GULF OF MEXICO FISHERY MANAGEMENT COUNCIL MEETING: Restoration (RESTORE Act), Shrimp Management, Reef Fish Management (Red snapper economic evaluation, regional management, 2013 season, states’ noncompliance; gray triggerfish; vermilion snapper; yellowtail snapper; regulatory amendments; gag grouper; exempted fishing permits), Mackerel & Red Drum committee meeting, 10 a.m.-11:30 a.m. daily. Council meeting 1-4 p.m. Oct. 31. Courtyard Marriott, 1600 East Beach Blvd., Gulfport, Miss. Agenda/briefing book website: http://www.gulfcouncil.org. Call (888) 833-1844.
- LOUISIANA WILDLIFE & FISHERIES COMMISSION MEETING: 9:30 a.m., Grand Isle Marine Lab, 195 Ludwig Annex, Grand Isle.
- DELTA WATERFOWL/BATON ROUGE CHAPTER BANQUET: 6 p.m., American Legion Hall, 151 South Wooddale, Baton Rouge. Tickets $55, $75 couples, $25 youths, $160 sponsors, $650 corporate tables. Dinner, raffles, silent/live auction. Call Jonathan Walker (225) 810-3294/(225) 276-6380.
- FALSE RIVER COMMERCIAL NETTING SEASON: Through Feb. 28, 2013. Suspends net ban on False River. Allows specified nets for commercial take of buffalo, catfish & carp.
- IFA KAYAK FISHING TOUR CHAMPIONSHIP: Safe daylight launch & afternoon weigh-ins, Gulf Outlet Marina, 255 Marina Rd., Chalmette. Divisional qualifiers. Anglers meeting 5 p.m., Nov. 1, Sigur Covic Center, Judge Perez Drive, Chalmette. Sponsored by Hobie Fishing. Website: http://www.ifakayakfishingtour.com.
- EAST BATON ROUGE SHERIFF’S OFFICE HUNTER’S SIGHT-IN DAYS: 8 a.m.-3 p.m. daily, EBRSO Firearms Training Facility, 999 West Irene Rd. (west off U.S. 61, north of Scotlandville.) Hunting & sporting rifles only. No. muzzleloaders. Hunters must bring proper ammunition for each weapon, factory ammunition only, no reloaded ammo & all weapons must be unloaded before arriving at the site. Range personnel will “zero” all weapons. Call Casey Rayborn Hicks (225) 389- 5091.
- SOUTHERN FLY FISHERS RENDEZVOUS: North Toledo Bend State Park, Zwolle. Sponsored by the Federation of Fly Fishers Gulf Coast Council. Call Kyle Moppert (225) 343-0867. Website: www.gulfcoastfff.org.
- MID RANGE RIFLE MATCH: Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. 600-yard prone match includes F-Class (any rifle, any sight, any support), FTR.223 &.308 with a bipod and conventional prone (any caliber). Website: http://PaloAltoGunClub.com.
SUNDAY, NOV. 4
- RETURN TO CENTRAL STANDARD TIME: 2 a.m.
AROUND THE CORNER
- NOV. 7-8 &MDASH; TOYOTA TUNDRA BASSMASTER WEEKEND SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP: Lake Sam Rayburn, Jasper, Texas. Boaters/Co-anglers qualifiers from series’ divisional tournaments. Website: http://www.weekendseries.com.
- NOV. 9-10 &MDASH; FALL CATCH-AND-EAT FLY FISHING TRIP: Louisiana marsh fly-fishing trip. Sponsored by Red Stick Fly Fishers, Baton Rouge. Registration required. Call Randy Leonpacher (225) 769-1895. Website: http://www.rsff.org.
- NOV. 12 — Veterans’ Day
- OV. 8 &MDASH; CCA/METRO NEW ORLEANS FALL FISHING SEMINAR: 5:30 p.m., Bent Marine, Metairie. Speakers: Dudley Vandenborre, C.T. Williams, Greg Schlumbrecht, Anthony Puglia, “Ahab” Broaddus, Peace Marvel. Donation $5.
- OPENED & CLOSED
- CLOSED: Elmer’s Island area.
- OPEN: State Fall Inshore Shrimp season (all inshore waters), but closed in Elmer’s Island-Fourchon area; recreational amberjack season.
- CLOSED-GULF OF MEXICO SEASONS: Recreational red snapper and gray triggerfish, state and federal waters and commercial king mackerel and gray triggerfish.
- YOUTH-ONLY DEER WEEKEND: Sunday (Oct. 28), final day, special Maurepas Basin area and portions of St. Bernard & Plaquemines parishes. (newly declared areas after impact from Hurricane Isaac). Bucks only.
- DEER/MODERN FIREARMS: Through Nov. 2, State Deer Area 7 (still-hunt only).
- GOOSE/EAST ZONE: Nov. 3 opening day. Open for Canada, speckledbelly, blue, snow & Ross’ geese. First split through Dec. 2.
- DEER/PRIMITIVE FIREARMS: Nov. 3, opening day, State Deer Area 7, through Nov. 9.
- SNIPE: Nov. 3, opening day, statewide. Through Dec. 3 in State Waterfowl East and Coastal zones. Through Dec. 10 in State Waterfowl West Zone. Daily limit 8.
- DUCKS/YOUTH WEEKEND: Nov. 3-4, state West & Coastal zones. Hunters 15 and younger. Youth hunters can take ducks, coots & mergansers. Daily limits apply. Nov. 10-11, state East Zone.
- YOUTH-ONLY DEER WEEKEND/MAUREPAS SWAMP WMA: Nov. 3-4. Bucks only.
- DOVES: North Zone, second split through Nov. 4; South Zone, second split through Nov. 25. Daily limit is 15. Possession limit is 30. Hours are one-half hour before sunrise to sunset.
- DEER/MODERN FIREARMS: State Deer Area 2 (still-hunt only) through Dec. 5.
- DEER/MODERN FIREARMS: Through Nov. 25, State Deer Areas 3 & 8 (still-hunt only).
- DEER/ARCHERY: State Deer Areas 3 & 8 through Jan. 15; State Deer areas 1, 2, 4, 5 & 7 through Jan. 31. Deer Area 6 & Special Atchafalaya Basin/I-10 south (Oct. 1-15, bucks only) through Feb. 15. Either-sex deer allowed to be taken except where noted. Special license required: $10.50 for residents (ages 16-59); $26 for nonresidents (16 and older).
- SQUIRRELS/RABBITS: Statewide through Feb. 28. Daily limit 8 for each species.
- NOTE: Deer tags are required for all hunters no matter their ages for taking deer in Louisiana. Tags must be affixed to the deer before taking it from the field. State basic & big-game licenses needed for deer hunters. Special stamp needed to take deer on wildlife management areas.
Have an outdoors item or event? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved