- S.T.A.R. AWARDS BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., Live Oak Arabians, 6300 Jefferson Hwy., Baton Rouge. Prizes for winners in CCA-Louisiana summer-long fishing rodeo. Tickets $50 (11-and-under no fee), $500 tables. Dinner, awards, auction. Call Rad Trascher (225) 952-9200.
- IFA REDFISH TOUR CHAMPIONSHIP: Safe daylight launch & afternoon weigh-ins, Gulf Outlet Marina, 255 Marina Rd., Chalmette. Divisional qualifiers. $65,000 purse. Sponsored by Cabela’s. Website: http://www.redfishtour.com.
- 14TH-ANNUAL ISTROUMA AREA COUNCIL CLAY SHOOT FOR SCOUTS CLASSIC: 7:30 a.m., Avondale Scout Reservation, 14433 La. 10-East, Clinton. 4-shooter teams. Fee $1,500/team. Breakfast, lunch, shotshells provided. Sponsorships available. Call Council (225) 926-7552.
- FALL N’ TIDE V KAYAK FISHING TOURNAMENT: Delta Marina, Empire. Sponsored by the Bayou Coast Kayak Fishing Club. Fee $40 includes meals, shirt, captain’s bag. Preregistration required. Website: www.bckfc.org.
- SORRENTO COPS & KIDS BASS TOURNAMENT: 5 a.m. live-well check-in, 3 p.m. weigh-in, Doiron’s Landing, Stephensville. Pick-your-partner event. Fee $120, $10 optional big-bass kitty. Call Earl Theriot (225) 675-5356/(225) 268-9003.
- SAC-A-LAIT/BREAM FISHING WITH THE JIGGIN’ POLE CLASS: 8 a.m.-12:30 p.m., A.P. Tureaud Hall, LSU, Baton Rouge. J.B. Salter-taught Leisure Studies class, LSU, Baton Rouge. Fee $42/LSU Union/student members, $53/public. Hands-on and classroom instruction; artificial and live baits; patterns; and area fishing hot spots. Call LSU Leisure Studies (225) 578-5119.
- FLY TYING AT BASS PRO SHOPS: 9:30 a.m.-noon, Conference Room, Bass Pro Shops, Denham Springs. Call Ron Brooks (225) 271-3100.
- SOUTH LOUISIANA HIGHPOWER CLUB MATCH: 8:30 a.m., Ascension Parish Sheriff’s Range, 9300 St. Landry Rd. Gonzales. Fee $12 members, $15 nonmembers, $5 juniors. $15 annual membership in Civilian Marksmanship Program. Call George Serrett; (225) 272-3538. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- FIN-ADDICT FLY FISHERS MEETING: 6:30 p.m., Spahr’s Restaurant, 1400 W. Tunnel Blvd, Houma. Call Stephen Robert (985) 850-0082. Website: http://finaddictflyfishers.blogspot.com.
- GULF OF MEXICO FISHERY MANAGEMENT COUNCIL MEETING: Restoration (RESTORE Act), Shrimp Management, Reef Fish Management (Red snapper economic evaluation, regional management, 2013 season, states’ noncompliance; gray triggerfish; vermilion snapper; yellowtail snapper; regulatory amendments; gag grouper; exempted fishing permits), Mackerel & Red Drum committee meeting, 10 a.m.-11:30 a.m. daily. Council meeting 1-4 p.m. Oct. 31. Courtyard Marriott, 1600 East Beach Blvd., Gulfport, Miss. Agenda/briefing book website: http://www.gulfcouncil.org. Call (888) 833-1844.
THURSDAY, NOV. 1
- DELTA WATERFOWL/BATON ROUGE CHAPTER BANQUET: 6 p.m., American Legion Hall, 151 South Wooddale, Baton Rouge. Tickets $55, $75 couples, $25 youths, $160 sponsors, $650 corporate tables. Dinner, raffles, silent/live auction. Call Jonathan Walker (225) 810-3294/(225) 276-6380.
- FALSE RIVER COMMERCIAL NETTING SEASON: Through Feb. 28, 2013. Suspends net ban on False River. Allows specified nets for commercial take of buffalo, catfish & carp.
AROUND THE CORNER
- NOV. 2-4 &MDASH; SOUTHERN FLY FISHERS RENDEZVOUS: North Toledo Bend State Park, Zwolle. Sponsored by the Federation of Fly Fishers Gulf Coast Council. Call Kyle Moppert (225) 343-0867. Website: www.gulfcoastfff.org.
- NOV. 2-3 &MDASH; IFA KAYAK FISHING TOUR CHAMPIONSHIP: Safe daylight launch & afternoon weigh-ins, Gulf Outlet Marina, 255 Marina Rd., Chalmette. Divisional qualifiers. Anglers meeting 5 p.m., Nov. 1, Sigur Covic Center, Judge Perez Drive, Chalmette. Sponsored by Hobie Fishing. Website: http://www.ifakayakfishingtour.com.
- NOV. 3 &MDASH; MID RANGE RIFLE MATCH: Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. 600-yard prone match includes F-Class (any rifle, any sight, any support), FTR.223 &.308 with a bipod & conventional prone (any caliber). Website: http://PaloAltoGunClub.com.
- NOV. 4 &MDASH; CENTRAL STANDARD TIME: 2 a.m.
- OV. 8 &MDASH; CCA/METRO NEW ORLEANS FALL FISHING SEMINAR: 5:30 p.m., Bent Marine, Metairie. Speakers: Dudley Vandenborre, C.T. Williams, Greg Schlumbrecht, Anthony Puglia, “Ahab” Broaddus, Peace Marvel. Donation $5.
OPENED & CLOSED
- CLOSED: Elmer’s Island area.
- OPEN: State Fall Inshore Shrimp season (all inshore waters), but closed in Elmer’s Island-Fourchon area; recreational amberjack season.
- CLOSED-GULF OF MEXICO SEASONS: Recreational red snapper and gray triggerfish, state and federal waters and commercial king mackerel and gray triggerfish.
- DEER/PRIMITIVE FIREARMS: Through Friday (Oct. 26), State Deer Area 2 through Oct. 26. Either-sex deer allowed to be taken. Special license required: $10.50 for residents, $26 for nonresidents.
- DEER/MODERN FIREARMS: Saturday (Oct. 27), opening day, State Deer Area 2 (still-hunt only), through Dec. 5.
- DEER/MODERN FIREARMS: Through Nov. 2, State Deer Area 7 (still-hunt only).
- DUCKS/YOUTH WEEKEND: Nov. 3-4, state West & Coastal zones. Hunters 15 and younger. Youth hunters can take ducks, coots & mergansers. Daily limits apply. Nov. 10-11, state East Zone.
- GOOSE/EAST ZONE: Nov. 3 opening day. Open for Canada, speckledbelly, blue, snow & Ross’ geese. First split through Dec. 2.
- DOVES: North Zone, second split through Nov. 4; South Zone, second split through Nov. 25. Daily limit is 15. Possession limit is 30. Hours are one-half hour before sunrise to sunset.
- DEER/MODERN FIREARMS: Through Nov. 25, State Deer Areas 3 & 8 (still-hunt only).
- DEER/ARCHERY: State Deer Areas 3 & 8 through Jan. 15; State Deer areas 1, 2, 4, 5 & 7 through Jan. 31. Deer Area 6 & Special Atchafalaya Basin/I-10 south (Oct. 1-15, bucks only) through Feb. 15. Either-sex deer allowed to be taken except where noted. Special license required: $10.50 for residents (ages 16-59); $26 for nonresidents (16 and older).
- SQUIRRELS/RABBITS: Statewide through Feb. 28. Daily limit 8 for each species.
- NOTE: Deer tags are required for all hunters no matter their ages for taking deer in Louisiana. Tags must be affixed to the deer before taking it from the field. State basic & big-game licenses needed for deer hunters. Special stamp needed to take deer on wildlife management areas.
Have an outdoors item or event? Email: email@example.com
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved