Julian’s Birthday Cake
Serve 30. Recipe is from Maria Darden who says the cake has all the flavors of her son Julian Darden’s favorite candy bar, Almond Joy.
1 box Duncan Hine’s devil’s food cake mix
11/3 cups water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup granulated sugar
24 large marshmellows
1 (14-oz.) pkg. coconut
1 stick margarine
3 tbls. cocoa
1 lb. bag sifted powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
6 tbls. milk
1. Bake chocolate cake in a 15x10-inch jellyroll pan lined with parchment paper and greased.
2. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
3. Turn cake out on towel and very gently peel off waxed paper. Cool.
4. To make the filling, combine the evaporated milk and sugar in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir in marshmallows until melted. Add coconut.
5. Cut the cake in half to make two layers. Spread filling between layers.
6. For icing, melt margarine and cocoa in medium saucepan but do not boil. Remove from heat and add sugar, water, salt and vanilla. Beat until smooth and glossy. Ice cake.
Note: Maria Darden made a four-layer cake for son Julian’s birthday by using two boxes of cake mix and two jellyroll pans.
Copyright © 2016, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved