Accused of disrupting operations on the LSU campus with a fake bomb threat last month, William Bouvay Jr. told a federal judge Tuesday that he is not guilty.
Bouvay, 42, 8224 Skysail Ave., was then ordered by U.S. Magistrate Judge Docia Dalby to be held, without bond, in federal custody at the West Baton Rouge Parish Prison until his trial in December.
A federal grand jury in Baton Rouge indicted Bouvay on Sept. 20 on one count of willfully conveying false information concerning the attempt to destroy property by means of explosives.
Bouvay faces a similar charge of communicating false information of a planned bombing on school property in 19th Judicial District Court, where he also is targeted for probation revocation on his guilty plea to a charge of domestic abuse/battery.
Bouvay was charged Oct. 3 in Baton Rouge state court.
Conviction in federal court on the false bomb threat could mean a 10-year prison term. If the case is prosecuted in the district court, conviction could result in a 20-year term.
According to an affidavit of probable cause, Bouvay called 911 at 10:32 a.m. Sept. 17 and said: “Yes, I planted three bombs at LSU’s campus. My colleagues planted three bombs at LSU to go off in two hours if my …”
The caller did not finish that sentence.
“This is not a joke. I’m gonna go there and …” Bouvay allegedly said before the call was disconnected.
Authorities shut down LSU’s campus for more than 12 hours following the threat.
Authorities traced the number using GPS technology to a deactivated cellphone that could be used only for emergency calls, LSU police have said.
The phone was found at Bouvay’s Skysail residence near Gardere Lane.
Bouvay allegedly admitted to authorities he called in the bomb threat, was arrested and was booked into East Baton Rouge Parish Prison.
Authorities have said they know why Bouvay allegedly made the calls, but they have declined to expand on that statement other than to say the threat was isolated to LSU.
The federal indictment also did not disclose Bouvay’s motive.
On Tuesday, Assistant Federal Public Defender Mark Upton filed a letter with Assistant U.S. Attorney Frederick A. Menner Jr. and Chief U.S. District Judge Brian A. Jackson to request copies of any and all statements alleged to have been made by Bouvay to police and any other law enforcement officials.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved