Serves 6 to 8. Recipe is by Corinne Cook.
2 (1-lb.) loaves frozen bread dough (usually packaged 3 per pack), thawed
2 tbls. melted butter
½ lb. sliced fresh mushrooms
1 or 2 ribs celery, sliced, optional
1 cup sliced onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups shredded mozzarella, divided
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
2 tsps. garlic powder, divided
1 lb. cooked Italian sausage, drained thoroughly and sliced into ¼-inch slices
1 cup pizza or marinara sauce
Fresh or dried basil as desired
1. Let dough thaw according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, melt butter in skillet and sauté mushrooms, celery, onions and garlic until vegetables are tender. Drain and set aside.
3. On a lightly floured board, roll one loaf of dough into a 10x12-inch rectangle. If dough shrinks back after rolling, let it rest, then roll or stretch again. Once it’s about the correct size, fold the dough in half and transfer it to lightly greased sheet pan. Unfold dough to rectangle and stretch out again until it’s the correct size.
4. Top dough with 2 cups of the mozzarella cheese, ¼ cup of the Parmesan cheese and 1 teaspoon garlic powder, leaving a 1-inch border around the sides. Top cheese with sausage, drained mushroom mixture, pizza sauce and basil to taste.
5. Sprinkle remaining 2 cups mozzarella, ¼ cup Parmesan and 1 teaspoon garlic powder over the other filling ingredients. Set aside.
6. Roll second loaf of dough into 10x14-inch rectangle for top crust. Place over pizza, firmly sealing bottom crust to top crust. Decorate with small piece of rolled out dough if desired. Make 4 to 5 small slits with the point of a knife in the top crust for steam to escape.
7. Place in preheated 375-degree oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until nicely browned on top.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved