Black Velvet Whoopie Pies
Makes 2 dozen. Recipe is from McCormick.
For the cookies:
1 (15.25- to 18.25-oz.) box German chocolate cake mix with pudding
1/2 cup water
1/4 unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 tbls. black food coloring
1 tbl. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat cake mix, water, cocoa powder, oil, food coloring, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low speed just until moistened, scraping the sides of the bowl frequently. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes.
2. Spoon 1 tablespoon of batter, 2 inches apart, onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Cookies will spread, so avoid crowding them on the baking sheet.
3. Bake 8 minutes or until cookies are puffed and spring back when touched, turning baking sheets halfway through baking. Cool on sheets 1 minute, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
For the filling:
1/2 cup butter, softened
11/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
1 (7-oz.) jar marshmallow crème
1/2 tsp. orange extract
1/2 tsp. red food coloring
1/2 tsp. yellow food coloring
1. Beat all the filling ingredients in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
2. Assemble the whoopie pies by placing 1 tablespoon of filling on the flat side of a cookie. Top with a second cookie, pressing gently to spread the filling. Repeat with remaining cookies and filling.
Copyright © 2014, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved