Baby Back Ribs With Pomegranate
and Cherry Glaze
Serves 4. Recipe is by Jamie Purviance, Weber Grills.
For the glaze:
2 cups tart or regular cherry preserves
2 cups refrigerated pomegranate juice
4 to 5 tsps. minced canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
11/2 tsps. ground coriander
11/2 tsps. ground cumin
1. In a food processor, blend the cherry preserves until almost smooth. Transfer the preserves to a large, heavy saucepan. Add the pomegranate juice and bring to a boil. Continue to boil until the mixture thickens slightly and is reduced to 2 cups, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring often and adjusting the heat as needed to prevent overflowing.
2. Remove from heat and stir in 4 teaspooons of the chilies, coriander and cumin. Taste and add more chilies if more heat is desired.
3. Cool completely. Transfer 1 cup to a small bowl and set aside for serving. Use the rest for basting.
For the rub:
1 tbl. kosher salt
1 tbl. freshly ground black pepper
1 tbl. ground corianer
1 tbl. ground cumin
2 tsps. garlic powder
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
For the ribs:
2 (21/2-lb.) racks baby back ribs
2 tbls. extra-virgin olive oil
1. Using a dinner knife, slide the tip under the membrane covering the back of each rack of ribs. Lift and loosen the membrane until it breaks, then grab a corner with a paper towel and pull it off. Brush each rack all over with the oil and season the racks with the rub, putting more of it on the meatier sides. Allow the ribs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before grilling.
2. Prepare the grill for indirect cooking over medium-low heat, 325 to 350 degrees.
3. Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the ribs for 3 to 31/2 hours, bone side down over indirect medium-low heat with the lid closed as much as possible, until the meat is very tender and has shrunk back from most of the bones by 1/4 inch or more. Lower the temperature of the grill if the ribs are browning too quickly.
4. During the last 20 to 25 minutes of grilling time, baste the racks generously with the glaze every 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from the grill and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Cut the racks into individual ribs and serve the reserved glaze for dipping.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved