The man accused of calling in a bomb threat to LSU earlier this week has been indicted by a federal grand jury, U.S. Attorney Donald J. Cazayoux Jr. said Thursday.
William Bouvay Jr., 42, 8224 Skysail Ave., was charged with one count of willfully conveying false information concerning the attempt to destroy property by means of explosives. If convicted, Bouvay faces up to 10 years in prison.
“This investigation should send a clear message to the public and to those who make such terroristic threats to elicit fear that the FBI and its law enforcement partners will quickly and fully deploy all available resources to bring such individuals to justice,” FBI Special Agent-in-Charge Michael J. Anderson said.
The federal charge comes a day after Bouvay was arrested and booked into East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on a count of communication of false information of a planned bombing on school property, a felony that carries a maximum 20-year prison sentence.
East Baton Rouge Parish District Attorney Hillar Moore III said if Bouvay is convicted in state court he could be charged as a multiple offender, which means he would be required to serve at least two-thirds of his sentence.
According to an affidavit of probable cause, Bouvay called in the bomb threat to LSU at 10:32 a.m. Monday. The university’s emergency text ordering students and staff to evacuate went out an hour later at 11:30 a.m.
According to the affidavit, Bouvay told a 911 dispatcher, “Yes, I planted three bombs at LSU’s campus. My colleagues planted three bombs at LSU to go off in two hours if my …”
The caller did not finish that sentence.
“This is not a joke. I’m gonna go there and …” the caller said before the call was disconnected.
Authorities traced the number using GPS technology to a deactivated cellphone that could be used only for emergency calls, LSU police Capt. Cory Lalonde said. The phone was found at Bouvay’s Skysail residence near Gardere Lane.
Bouvay admitted to authorities he called in the bomb threat, was arrested and booked into Parish Prison.
Authorities know why Bouvay made the bomb threat but have declined to disclose those reasons, other than to say the threat was isolated to LSU and had nothing to do with bomb threats made last week at the University of Texas and North Dakota State University.
The federal indictment also did not disclose Bouvay’s motive.
According to East Baton Rouge Parish clerk of court records, Bouvay was on probation at the time of his arrest in the bomb threat incident.
Bouvay was sentenced to 18 months of supervision after pleading guilty in 2009 to a domestic abuse/battery charge, the records show.
Five years earlier, Bouvay pleaded guilty to a charge of improper phone communication and was sentenced to 60 days of probation.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved