Yellow Cake With Fresh Coconut Filling
Makes 3 (8-inch) layers. Recipe is from “Extra! Extra! Read All About It!” by Corinne Cook.
For the cake:
2 cups sugar
2 sticks butter, room temperature
4 cups sifted flour
½ tsp. salt
4 tsps. baking powder
5 eggs, room temperature
1 cup milk, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 3 (8-inch) cake pans.
2. Cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
3. Sift dry ingredients together and set aside.
4. Add eggs, one at a time, to the sugar and butter mixture.
5. Add dry ingredients alternately with the milk. Add the vanilla.
6. Pour into prepared pans. Bake for 25 or 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
For the filling:
1 cup sugar
3 tbls. cornstarch
Pinch of salt
1 cup milk
2 cups freshly grated coconut or frozen if you prefer
3 tbls. butter
1 tsp. vanilla or almond extract
1. In medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gently stir to mix.
2. Slowly add milk while stirring. Heat until sugar is dissolved then add the coconut. Cook until mixture thickens while constantly stirring.
3. Add butter and vanilla. Stir and cool slightly.
4. Spread between cooled layers and on top. If you have enough, spread some of the glaze over the sides of the cake. This makes plenty for a three-layer cake.
5. Cover and refrigerate after serving.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved