Shrimp, Artichoke and Mushroom Casserole
Serves 4 or 5. Recipe is from Corinne Cook.
About 1¾ lbs. fresh shrimp (3 to 4 cups cooked)
6½ tbls. butter, divided
½ lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 (8.5-oz.) cans quartered artichoke hearts, drained
4 tbls. flour
¾ cup milk
¾ cup whipping cream
¼ cup golden sherry (more if desired)
½ tsp. salt, or to taste
½ tsp. black pepper, or to taste
1 or 2 tsps. Worcestershire sauce
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley, add more if desired
Paprika, if desired
Cooked wild or white rice or pasta
1. Boil and peel shrimp and set aside.
2. Melt 2½ tablespoons butter in medium skillet. Sauté mushrooms for 5 or 6 minutes, being careful not to overcook them. Set aside.
3. Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick coating or lightly butter it.
4. Layer all the artichokes on the bottom, then the shrimp then mushrooms.
5. Make the cream sauce by melting 4 tablespoons of butter over low heat. Using a whisk, stir in flour and blend until thoroughly combined. Slowly add milk and cream, whisking constantly until mixture thickens. Remove from heat.
6. Stir in sherry, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce, and pour over seafood and vegetables in casserole.
7. In small bowl, combine Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley. Sprinkle over top of casserole, and sprinkle paprika over the top if desired.
8. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes. Serve over cooked rice or pasta.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved