The Week In Arts for Sept. 2
A compilation of arts events for the week ahead.
SUNDAY, SEPT. 2
- FIRST SUNDAY: 1-4 p.m., Louisiana Art & Science Museum, 100 River Road S. Free admission to LASM galleries and reduced admission to planetarium shows. 3 p.m., First Sunday Art Talk: “Introduction to New Media Art” with Frederick Ostrenko, new media artist and assistant professor of digital art at LSU. http://www.lasm.org.
- FIRST SUNDAY: 1-5 p.m., LSU Museum of Art, Shaw Center for the Arts, 100 Lafayette St. Free admission to the fifth floor gallery. http://www.lsumoa.com.
WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 5
- AUDITIONS FOR TALBOT BEACON PRESENTS HIS LATEST, GREATEST GOSPEL STAGE PLAY: 6 p.m., Independence Park Theatre, 7800 Independence Blvd. A New Venture Theatre production. http://www.newventuretheatre.com.
THURSDAY, SEPT. 6
- TALK LIKE A PIRATE!: 6 p.m., Ascension Parish Library, 708 S. Irma Blvd., Gonzales. A pirate from the Crew of Ragtag Misfits will teach pirate language and read a pirate tale to children ages 5-8. Call (225) 647-3955 to register.
FRIDAY, SEPT. 7
- GARDEN TOUR FRIDAYS: 10 a.m., Rosedown Plantation State Historic Site, 12501 La. 10, St. Francisville. (225) 635-3110.
- FOOD AND WINE EXPERIENCE: 7-10 p.m., Celtic Media Centre, Stage 2, 10000 Celtic Drive. Sponsored by the Baton Rouge Irish Club. Live entertainment. $25, club members; $30, non-members.
- LEGALLY BLONDE: THE MUSICIAL: 8 p.m., Rivertown Theaters for the Performing Arts main stage, 325 Minor St., Kenner. $35. (504) 461-9475. http://www.RivertownTheaters.com.
SATURDAY, SEPT. 8
- HEART & SOUL GALA AND FUNDRAISER: 7-10 p.m., St. Tammany Art Association, 320 N. Columbia St., Covington. $35. (985) 892-8650 or http://www.sttammanyartassociation.org.
- THE WORLD IS MY HOME: THE LIFE OF PAUL ROBESON: 8 p.m., New Orleans Center for Creative Art’s Lupin Hall, 2800 Chartres St., New Orleans. Benefit performance starring Stogie Kenyatta. $20. (504) 940-2900 or http://www.NOCCAInstitute.com
News Features staff
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved