Herbed Tomato Tart
Serves 6. Recipe is from “Southern Living What’s for Supper: 30-Minute Meals Everyone Will Love.” by Vanessa McNeil Rocchio.
2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced (about 3/4 lb.)
1/2 pint assorted small tomatoes, halved
3/4 tsp. salt, divided
1 (17.3-oz.) pkg. frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
1 (8-oz.) pkg. shredded mozzaarella cheese
1 (4-oz.) pkg. crumbed feta cheese
1/4 cup finely chopped chives
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup finely chopped assorted fresh herbs
1 tbl. olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place tomatoes in a single layer on paper towels; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Let stand 30 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels.
2. Meanwhile, roll 1 pastry sheet into a 14-inch square on a lightly floured surface; place on an ungreased baking sheet. Cut 4 (12- x 1-inch) strips from remaining pastry sheet, and place strips along outer edges of pastry square, forming a border. Reserve remaining pastry for another use.
3. Bake at 400 degrees for 14 minutes or until browned.
4. Sprinkle pastry with mozzarella cheese, feta cheese, chives and garlic. Top with tomatoes in a single layer. Sprinkle tomatoes with herbs and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; drizzle with oil.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 14 to 15 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve immediately.
Note from Vanessa: We used basil, thyme and parsley, but just about any combination of herbs that pairs well with tomatoes — such as oregano and tarragon — would also work.
Copyright © 2015, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved