Fun & Fitness Calendar
- YOUTH TOURNAMENT: May 19-20, Rivault Field, Port Allen. Boys ages 7-under through 14-under divisions. Fees $150-$250. Entry deadline May 15. Non-sanctioned event. Call David Key (225) 405-5108 or Scott Kirby (225) 610-3376.
- CAPITAL CITY CHALLENGE (USSSA NIT): May 19-20, Cypress Mounds Complex, Baton Rouge. Ages 7-under/8-under Open & 9-14AAA/MAJ. Fees $100 & $250. Three-game guarantee. Call Brent Guilbeaux at (225) 757-5550. Email: email@example.com.
- GS GOVERNOR’S GAMES IV (USSSA NIT): May 25-28, Cypress Mounds Complex, Baton Rouge. Ages 7-under/8-under Open & 9-14AAA/MAJ. Fees $150 & $375. Four-game guarantee. Call Brent Guilbeaux at (225) 757-5550. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- YOUTH TOURNAMENT: May 26-27, Emmitt Douglas Park, New Roads. Boys 13-under, 14-under & 15-under age divisions. Fee $175/team. Three-game guarantee. Entry deadline May 17. Call Jason Cador (225) 638-4248 or Allison Fitheet (225) 235-7930.
- LPR/USSSA ALL-STAR WARM-UP: June 2-3, Livingston Parks & Rec fields, Livingston. Ages 6-under through 15-under divisions. Fee $275. Pool play then single elimination. Call Deonna Israel (225) 270-0240. Website: http://www.LivingstonParks.com.
- WARRIORS TOURNAMENT: June 14-16, Port Allen High School. Port Allen. Boys ages 16-under & 18-under divisions. Fee $300/team. Call Josh Laborde (225) 975-6756. Email: email@example.com.
- 7TH ANNUAL LOUISIANA BAYOU FLAMES SPRING SHOOTOUT: May 18-19, Capitol Middle School & Christian Life Academy, Baton Rouge. Third-grade through 11th-grade divisions. Fee $90/team. Two-game guarantee. Call Ronnie McGhee (225) 324-7504 or Eddie Crawford (225) 954-5542.
- LA. BAYOU FLAMES BEST BALLERS CLASSIC: May 18-20, Lafayette & and New Iberia areas. Third-grade through 12th-grade teams. Fee $225/team. Three-game guarantee. Entry deadline May 15. Call Joe Randall (225) 931-4973 or Travis Ward (225) 806-4923.
- MGG AAU GIRLS TOURNAMENT: May 19-20, Denham Springs Junior High, 401 Hatchell Lane, Denham Springs. Girls sixth-10th grades. Fee $60/game. Call Mike Picou (225) 933-4084 or Jason Laborde (225) 937-7444.
- BATTLE IN OKLAHOMA SHOWCASE ENTRY DEADLINE: May 25 (early)/June 1 (late) for June 8-10 event, Oklahoma City, Okla. Boys & girls 8-under to open high school age divisions. Fee $300/team. Four-game guarantee. Call Junior Sports Assn. (901) 337-6433. Website: http://www.jsabasketball.com
- TAR HEEL SHOOT-OUT: June 1-3, Southern University, Baton Rouge. Boys 11-17 & girls 15-17 age divisions. A national qualifier. Fee $300/team. Pool play, then brackets. Call Ervin Grigsby (225) 588-2707. Email: tarheel firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NSABA LOUISIANA STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS: June 1-3, Baton Rouge. Boys grades 3-12 divisions. Fee $300. Top two teams in each age group automatic national tournament bids. Call National Student Athlete Basketball Assn. (678) 294-3668 or Ervin Grigsby (225) 588-2707.
- HUSTLE & HEART II TOURNAMENT ENTRY DEADLINE: June 5 for June 8-10 event, two gym sites, Baton Rouge. Boys ages 12-under through 18-under divisions. Fee $75. Three-game guarantee. Call Bridget Bowman (225) 229-6217.
- YBOA STATE TOURNAMENT: June 8-10, LSU Student UREC, Baton Rouge. Boys grades 4, 5, 8, 9 & Girls grades 2, 3, 4, 7, 11, 12 divisions. Fee $350/team. Call Mike Picou (225) 933-4084 or Jason Laborde (225) 937-7444.
- AJGT OAKS AT SHERWOOD JUNIOR CLASSIC ENTRY DEADLINE: Noon, May 16 for May 19-20 event, The Oaks at Sherwood GC, Baton Rouge. Boys & girls ages 11-18 in four age divisions. Fee $195. 36 holes. Call Arrowhead Junior Golf (318) 402-2446. Online registration: http://www.arrowheadjgt.com.
- 3RD ANNUAL CARTER PLANTATION COMMUNITY TOURNAMENT: 1 p.m., May 21, Carter Plantation GC, Springfield. Four-player scramble. Fee $600/team. Field limited to 36 teams. Benefits Springfield Fire Department & Historic Carter House Society. Call John Loupe 225-921-6005 or Maurice Welsh at 985-5079104. Registration website: http://www.theplantationpoa.com/site.
- USSSA SWASHBUCKLER CLASSIC ENTRY DEADLINE: May 23 for May 26-27 event, The National GC, Westlake. Boys/Girls ages 15-18 (36 holes), Boys/Girls ages 12-14 (36 holes) & Boys/Girls ages 9-11 (18 holes). Fee $80 & $160. Call Robert Boudreaux (337) 278-8431. Website: http://www.usssa.com.
- AUDI AJGT MATCH PLAY CHAMPIONSHIP ENTRY DEADLINE: Noon, May 25 for May 29-31 event, Mandeville. Juniors ages 11-18/54 holes. Fee $265. Call Arrowhead Junior Golf (318) 402-2446. Website: http://www.arrowheadjgt.com.
- COPPER MILL TOURNAMENT: May 26-27, Copper Mill GC, Zachary. Two-man best ball/preflighted by handicap. Fee $300/team includes three meals. Limited to 72 teams. Email Wes Watts: email@example.com or Shelton Watts: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 14TH ANNUAL WALTER BANKS SR. KAPPA CLASSIC: 9 a.m. shotgun start, June 16, Cooper Mill GC, Zachary. Four-player scramble. Fee $100/player. Long-drive & closest-to-pin contests. Sponsorships available. Benefits Baton Rouge Kappa Foundation. Call Kenneth Wright (225) 907-7983. Email: email@example.com.
- BREC CEDAR RIDGE 45- AND -OLDER LEAGUE: 5-9 p.m. Sundays; 6-9 p.m. Tuesdays & Fridays; 9-11 a.m. Wednesdays, BREC Cedar Ridge Park. Call Tom Burkhart (225) 752-5905.
- BREC PLANK ROAD LEAGUE: 6:30-9 p.m. Tuesdays & Fridays; 7-9 p.m. Thursdays, Plank Road Park, Zachary. Call Lothar Kuhn (225) 654-9743.
- PENNINGTON YMCA OPEN LEAGUE: 7:30-9 p.m. Tuesdays & Thursdays, C.B. Pennington Jr. YMCA. Call Steve Ryan (225) 272-9622. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BREC LOVETT ROAD 21-AND-OLDER LEAGUE: 6-9 p.m. Mondays, Lovett Road Park, Central. Call Charles Welsh (225) 261-3621.
- BREC ANTIOCH PARK LEAGUE: 6-9 p.m. Wednesdays. Call Park Rec Center (225) 757-8316.
- HAPPY’S RUNNING CLUB: 6:15 p.m., May 15, Happy’s Irish Pub, Third Street. Fee $35 annual membership. Call Scott Higgins (225) 810-5124 or Michael Lang (225) 252-9621.
- 4TH ANNUAL ZULU RUN TO RIDE: 8 a.m., May 19, 732 N. Broad St., New Orleans. 5K roadrace and half-mile Junior Zulu run (ages 6-14). Fees $15 Krewe member, $25 nonmember, $15 youth, $250 teams (up to 15 entries). Call Zulu (504) 239-1531. Website: http://www.kreweofzulu.com.
- 4TH ANNUAL RUN FOR THE CHILDREN: 8 a.m., May 26, North Boulevard Town Center, Baton Rouge. 5K roadrace and 1-mile Fun Run/Walk. Fee $20/adults, $10/12-under, $25 and $15 after May 19. Add awards for best jungle/safari costume. Benefits St Jude Children’s Hospital. Call Wayne Register (225) 772-3596. Registration website: http://www.runforthechildrenbr.com.
- TRYOUTS: June 5, University High fields, Baton Rouge. Capital City United boys and girls teams, 5:30-6:30 p.m. June 5 and June, 10, under-14/under 15; 6:45-7:45 p.m. June 5 and June 10, under-16/under 17/under-18. Call Chris Mitchell (225) 266-4631. Website: http://capitalcityunited.org.
- ADULT CO-ED LEAGUES REGISTRATION: Baton Rouge SA 10-game summer Co-ed Open and Co-ed Over-30 leagues. Fee $105/team. Games begin June 11. Website: http://www.brsa.org.
- GOVERNOR’S GAMES: June 8-10, Fontana Park, Independence. ASA girls Class B tournament/Rec, League & League All-Star teams. Fee $250. Entry deadline June 4. Pool play then double elimination. Call Bill Skinner (225) 567-3364/(985) 507-0092.
- FRIDAY ONE PITCH TOURNAMENT: May 17, McLin Fields/Gator Park, Satsuma. Men’s & Co-ed divisions. Fee $90/team. Call Ronnie McLin (225) 276-8237/(225) 686-2418.
- 18TH ANNUAL GOVERNOR’S GAMES: June 2, John Slidell Park, Slidell. WSL/ASA NIT Men’s Classes C, D & E, Women’s Open and Co-ed divisions. Fee $225. Entry deadline May 29. WSL & ASA qualifiers. Call Bill Skinner (225) 567-3364/(985) 507-0092 or Richie Soley (985) 351-0390.
TRACK & FIELD
- U.S. EXPRESS TC YOUTH/ADULT TEAMS PRACTICE: 6-7:30 p.m., Mondays through Thursdays, Broadmoor High School, Baton Rouge and 5:30-730 p.m. East Iberville High School, St. Gabriel. Youth team, boys and girls ages 5-18; Adult team, 19-older. Call Byron Turner (225) 892-3489. Email: email@example.com.
- 2ND ANNUAL U.S. EXPRESS CLASSIC: 8:30 a.m., May 19, Scotlandville High School, Baton Rouge. Youths ages 5-19. All track & field events. Call Byron Turner (225) 892-3489. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved