“Lee’s Generals” is the theme of the annual Deep Delta Civil War Symposium on June 1 and June 2 at Southeastern Louisiana University. Sponsored by Southeastern’s Department of History and Political Science, the symposium will be in the War Memorial Student Union.
Now in its 26th year, the symposium is one of the largest Civil War conferences in the United States and annually attracts a national audience, as well as many local Civil War enthusiasts.
Presenters on June 1 and their topics include:
• 4:30 p.m. – “Stonewall Jackson: The Christian Soldier in Life, Death and Defeat” by George C. Rable, author of “Fredericksburg! Fredericksburg!”
• 7:30 p.m. – “The Generalship of Robert E. Lee” by Charles P. Roland, author of “The Confederacy.”
Presentations on June 2 include:
• 8:45 a.m. – “Lee’s Most Maligned General: Fighting Dick Anderson” by Lawrence Lee Hewitt, author of “Port Hudson: Confederate Bastion on the Mississippi.”
• 10 a.m. – “Jeb Stuart, R.E. Lee, and Confederate Defeat at Gettysburg” by Joseph G. Dawson III, author of “Army Generals and Reconstruction: Louisiana, 1862-1877.”
• 11:15 a.m. – “P.G.T. Beauregard and the Petersburg Campaign” by A. Wilson Green, author of “Whatever You Resolve to Be: Essays on Stonewall Jackson.”
• 2 p.m. – “The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions: James Longstreet in War and Peace” by William L. Richter, author of “The Army in Texas during Reconstruction, 1865-1870.”
• 3:15 p.m. – “Jubal Early: Confederate in the Attic” by Thomas E. Schott, author of “Alexander H. Stephens of Georgia: A Biography.”
• 4:30 p.m. – “John B. Gordon and the Gospel of Reconciliation” by Ralph L. Eckert, author of “John Brown Gordon: Soldier, Southern, American.”
• 7:30 p.m. – “A Confusion of Tongues: The Ebb and Flow of Robert E. Lee’s Reputation Since 1964” by Brian Holden-Reid, author of “J.F.C. Fuller: Military Thinker.”
For more information about the Deep Delta Civil War Symposium, contact the Department of History and Political Science at (985) 549-2109 or email@example.com, or visit http://www.southeastern.edu/deepdelta.
The Fellowship of Christian Athletes will host its annual statewide Leadership Camp for high school and junior high students from June 4 to June 7 at Camp Bethany near Shreveport.
The camp is aimed at students and athletes who will occupy leadership positions within their school’s FCA huddle. The coed camp blends sports with leadership and organizational skills based on Christian principles, organizers said.
The camp is $300 per student, and the registration deadline is May 30. The cost includes lodging, meals, all activities and round-trip transportation to and from the local area.
For more information, contact Bob Ingalls (Livingston-Tangipahoa-St. Helena parishes) at (225) 907-4067 or firstname.lastname@example.org; Andy Stroup (greater Baton Rouge area) at (318) 465-0908 or email@example.com; or Gary Fayard (greater Covington-Mandeville area) at (985) 773-3969 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved