- DOIRON’S TEAM BASS TOURNAMENT: 3 p.m. weigh-in, Doiron’s Landing, Stephensville.
- IHMSA HANDGUN METALLIC SILHOUETTE MATCH: Ascension Parish Sheriffs Training Range, St. Landry Road, Gonzales. Smallbore (.22) and Field Pistol matches. Fee $8. Sponsored by Ascension Silhouette. Call Charlie Braud (225) 647-8288 or Philip Braud (225) 675-6451.
- BPS SET YOUR SIGHTS-DAY 3: 1 p.m., Bass Pro Shops, Denham Springs. Guns, accessories, reloading basics for modern rifles and conceal-and-carry weapons course. Last in three-day series. Website: http://www.basspro.com.
- FLY FISHING 101 COURSE: Orvis Company Store, Perkins Rowe, Baton Rouge. Hour-long instructions in casting and rigging for beginners. Other dates May 12, 13, 26, 27, June 2, 3, 16, 17, 23 and 24. Limited class size. Reservations requested. Call Alex Beane (225) 757-7286. Website: http://www.orvis.com/ff101.
- BASSMASTER ELITE SERIES: Final day, Douglas Lake Challenge, Dandridge, Tenn. Fourth in 8-tournament series to determine 2013 Bassmaster Classic qualifiers. Website: http://www.bassmaster.com/.
- WEDNESDAY EVENING BASS TOURNAMENT: 5 p.m., Canal Bank Club, Diversion Canal, Maurepas. Pick-your-partner. 3-bass limit. Fee $40/boat. Weekly. Call Canal Bank Club (225) 698-9074.
- CCA RIVER PARISHES BANQUET: 5:30 p.m., Jerusalem Shrine Center, 1940 Ormond Blvd., Destrehan. Dinner, auctions. Tickets $60, $30 spouses, $25 youths, $480 tables. Call CCA (225) 952-9200.
- OLD TIMERS BASS TOURNAMENT: 5:30 a.m. registration, safe daylight-noon, Paisano’s, La. 70, Belle River. Anglers 55 and older. Fee $50, lunch included. Three-bass limit. Call Wayne Tucker (337) 254-1300.
- FRIDAY NIGHT COOKIE JAR BASS SERIES: 7 p.m.-midnight, False River, Public Landing, Morrison Parkway, New Roads. Weekly through Sept. 14. Weekly fee $30 per boat/1-2 anglers. 14-inch minimum size for bass. Call Guy Perkins (225) 293-3402.
- 6TH ANNUAL ITALIAN AMERICAN FISHING RODEO: Breton Sound Marina, Hopedale. Fee $35 (anglers 14 and younger free). Redfish, speckled trout, white trout, flounder, sheepshead and drum divisions. First-place only in bass, redfish under 27-inches long and biggest fish/any fish divisions. Captain’s Party May 11. Benefits Children’s Hospital. Call Robbie Rabb (504) 957-4403 or Allen Catoire (504) 388-5625.
- STEP OUTSIDE DAY: 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Sherburne Wildlife Management Area, La. 975 (south off U.S. 190 near Krotz Springs). No fee. Fishing, archery, boating, target/trap shooting, nature photography, bird watching, ATV Safety, turkey/duck calling, demonstrations, techniques and displays. Food, drink provided. Call Louisiana Department of Wildlife & Fisheries’ Opelousas office (337) 948-0255.
- 3RD ANNUAL ELMER’S ISLAND SPRING BEACH SWEEP: 8 a.m.-noon. Litter clean-up project. Volunteers needed. Sponsored by Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, Barataria-Terrebonne National Estuary Program, Louisiana Wildlife Federation, The Nature Conservancy and Barefoot Wines. Preregistration requested. Call Joe Dantin (985) 449-4715.
- PRECISION RIFLE MATCH: Palo Alto Rifle & Pistol Club, Donaldsonville. 600-yard match. Website: http://PaloAltoGunClub.com/.
- FLY TYING CLASS: 9 a.m.-noon, Ascension Parish Library, 708 S. Irma Blvd. Gonzales. No fee. Basics of tying fresh and saltwater flies (Bendbacks, poppin ‘ bugs, crickets, spoon flies, sardines). Call Darrell Crawford (225) 644-7989.
- INTERNATIONAL MIGRATORY BIRD DAY CELEBRATION: 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Louisiana State Arboretum at Chicot State Park, La. 3042, Ville Platte. Guided birdwatching tours (9 a.m. and 3 p.m.), presentations, bird games and birding activities. Chicot State Park admission $1 per person to enter Chicot State Park. Once inside Chicot, the Arboretum is free. Call (888) 677-6100.
- EAST JEFFERSON CCA FAMILY FISHING RODEO: 5-7 a.m. registration, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. weigh-in, Sweetwater Marina, Delacroix. Team fishing. Speckled trout and redfish categories, Ladies’s only and seven youth categories. Open to all CCA members and families. Fee $25 adults. Youth 17-under no fee. Call Glen Gourgues (504) 858-9440. Website: http://www.ccalouisiana.com/.
- 3RD ANNUAL BASS ON THE FLY TOURNAMENT: Lake Fork Marina, Lake Fork, Texas. Fee $55, $5 big-bass pot, $5 big-bluegill pot. Catch-and-release. Categories: Boat, kayak and bank fishing. Call Ted Warren (903) 850-7084. Website: http://www.bassonthefly.org.
SUNDAY, MAY 13
AROUND THE CORNER
- MAY 14 &MDASH; RED STICK FLY FISHERS PROGRAM: 7 p.m., Wildlife and Fisheries, Quail Drive, Baton Rouge. Call Dan Weber, (225) 892-4352. Website: http://www.rsff.org/.
- MAY 19 &MDASH; FLY FISHING 201 COURSE: Orvis Company Store, Perkins Rowe, Baton Rouge. On-the-water instructions in casting and rigging for beginners. Other dates May 20, June 9, 10 and July 1. Limited class size. Reservations requested. Call Alex Beane (225) 757-7286. Website: http://www.orvis.com/ff101.
- MAY 30-JUNE 3 &MDASH; DUCKS UNLIMITED’S 75TH NATIONAL CONVENTION: Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center, Nashville. Website: http://www.ducks.org/.
- JUNE 7-9 &MDASH; SWOLFEST FISHING RODEO: Sand Dollar Marina, Grand Isle.
- SPRING SQUIRREL SEASON: Through May 27, private lands. Reduced season on some wildlife management areas. Closed on most federal lands and refuges.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved