Serves 8 to 10. Recipe is from Helana Brigman
1/2 cup sliced almonds
2⁄3 cup plus 1 tbl. confectioners’ sugar, divided
21/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup (11/2 sticks) unsalted butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 lb. fresh strawberries, stemmed and halved
1 tbl. sugar
9 tbls. red-colored jelly or jam, such as strawberry, raspberry or red currant
4 tbls. water
1. Wash strawberries, stem, halve, and toss in a bowl with sugar. Cover and macerate for at least 1 hour.
2. Prepare the pastry: In a coffee grinder, add 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar with sliced almonds. Grind until a fine powder develops (about 10 seconds). Add almond meal to all-purpose flour and whisk to combine in a separate bowl. In a standing mixer, combine butter, 2⁄3 cup confectioners’ sugar, egg, salt and extracts until blended. Slowly sift dry ingredients into sugar-egg mixture until fully combined. Refrigerate dough for 2 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and roll dough out onto a well-floured surface. The dough will be hard and cold, so it may take several minutes for you to get it to do as you want during this step. (Note: Cold pastry dough is a very good sign — all good pastries are hard to work with at first and persistence always yields to a great crust.)
4. Roll dough to the size of an 8- or 10-inch tart pan and line tart pan with pastry. Press dough into the pan’s edges cutting off excess pastry as necessary and puncturing the bottom throughout with a fork. Line pastry with parchment paper or aluminum foil and fill with either ceramic oven-safe weights or dry beans.
5. Bake crust for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool completely.
6. When ready to eat, bring water and jelly to a simmer over low-medium heat stirring frequently until a thick mixture forms. Brush half of the jelly over the cooked tart shell and fill with macerated strawberries. Brush strawberries with remaining half of the jelly mixture and serve warm or cold.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved