Crispy Fried Chicken
Serves 6. Recipe is by Tracey Koch.
4 bone-in breasts (cut in half)
4 bone-in thighs
2 cups buttermilk
1 tsp. Creole seasoning
4 cups self-rising flour
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. onion powder
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
2 tbls. water
2½ cups vegetable oil
1. Divide the chicken pieces into 2 large self-sealing plastic bags.
2. Pour in the buttermilk and Creole seasoning. Close the bag and gently shake the chicken around to make sure all of the seasoning is evenly distributed.
3. Place the chicken in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
4. To fry the chicken, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, pour in the vegetable oil and heat to 350 degrees.
5. Divide the flour into 2 shallow baking dishes. Season the flour with the garlic and onion powders, salt and pepper and blend to incorporate all of the seasonings.
6. In a third dish, whisk together the eggs and the water.
7. Drain the buttermilk off of the chicken and then dredge the chicken into the first dish of flour.
8. Then dip the chicken pieces into the egg wash, followed by dredging them in the second dish of seasoned flour.
9. Fry the chicken in batches, cooking for 4 to 5 minutes per side.
10. Drain the pieces of chicken on paper towels and then place on a baking sheet fitted with a wire rack.
11. Bake the chicken for an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through (160 degrees on a meat thermometer).
12. Remove from the oven and allow the chicken to cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved