Serves 6 to 8. Recipe is from “101 Things to Do With a Dutch Oven” by Vernon Winterton.
1 (8-oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
11/2 lbs. ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
11/2 quarts spaghetti sauce
1 (16-oz.) pkg. lasagna noodles, no boil variety
32 ozs. small curd cottage cheese
Nonstick cooking spray
2 lbs. grated mozzarella cheese
1. Take out cream cheese to soften.
2. Brown ground beef and drain.
3. While meat is cooking, chop onion and garlic.
4. Add onion and garlic to cooked meat in pot. Cook until onions are translucent. Add spaghetti sauce and remove from heat.
5. In separate bowl, mix cottage cheese, eggs and cream cheese.
6. Spray Dutch oven with nonstick cooking spray. Lining Dutch oven with foil is not recommended for heavy tomato sauce recipes.
7. In Dutch oven, layer 1⁄3 of the sauce mixture, 1/2 of the noodles and 1/2 of the cottage cheese mixture. Repeat layers; pour remaining spaghetti sauce on top and then spread grated mozzarella cheese on top. Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour. You should see the cheese melted and bubbly; the noodles should be cooked.
Note: For a 14-inch Dutch oven, place 19 hot briquettes on the top and 16 on the bottom.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved