Pumpkin Ravioli With Salted Caramel Whipped Cream
Makes 12 (2 ravioli each) servings. Recipe is by Christina Verrelli, Devon, Paenn., who won the $1 million grand prize in the 45th Pillsbury Bake-Off Contest.
4 tbls. butter, melted
2 (3-oz.) pkgs. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup sugar
5 tbls. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1⁄3 cup pecans, finely chopped
2 cans Pillsbury Crescent Recipe Creations refrigerated seamless dough sheet
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1⁄8 tsp. salt
5 tbls. Hershey’s caramel syrup
4 tbls. cinnamon sugar
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Brush 2 large cookie sheets with 2 tablespoons of the melted butter.
2. In large bowl, beat cream cheese and pumpkin with electric mixer on medium speed about 1 minute or until smooth. Add egg yolk, vanilla, sugar, 3 tablespoons of the flour and pumpkin pie spice; beat on low speed until blended. Reserve 4 teaspoons of the pecans; set aside. Stir remaining pecans into pumpkin mixture.
2. Lightly sprinkle work surface with 1 tablespoon of the flour. Unroll 1 can of dough on floured surface with 1 short side facing you. Press dough into 14x12-inch rectangle. With paring knife, lightly score the dough in half horizontally. Lightly score bottom half of dough into 12 squares (3x2 1/4-inch each). Spoon heaping tablespoon of the pumpkin filling onto center of each square. Gently lift and position unscored half of dough over filling. Starting at the top folded edge, press handle of wooden spoon firmly between mounds and along edges of pumpkin filling to seal. Using toothpick, poke small hole in top of each ravioli. Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut between each ravioli; place 1 inch apart on cookie sheets. Repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon flour, dough sheet and filling. Brush ravioli with remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter.
3. Bake 9 to 14 minutes or until golden brown.
4. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, beat whipping cream and salt with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Beat in 2 tablespoons of the caramel syrup until stiff peaks form. Transfer to serving bowl; cover and refrigerate.
5. Remove ravioli from oven. Sprinkle ravioli with 2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar; turn. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar.
6. To serve, place 2 ravioli on each of 12 dessert plates. Drizzle each serving with scant teaspoon of the caramel syrup; sprinkle with reserved chopped pecans. With spoon, swirl remaining 1 tablespoon caramel syrup into bowl of whipped cream. Serve warm ravioli with whipped cream.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 380 calories, 220 calories from fat, 25 grams total fat, 13 grams saturated fat, 1/2 gram trans fat, 70 milligrams cholesterol, 440 milligrams sodium, 35 grams total carbohydrate, 1 gram dietary fiber, 16 grams sugar, 4 grams protein. Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch; 0 fruit; 1 other carbohydrate; 4 1/2 fat; and 2 carbohydrate choices.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved