Slow-Cooked Turtle Cake
Serves 10 to 12. Recipe is by Jan Gautro with adaptations by Julie Kay.
1 (18.25-oz.) pkg. German chocolate cake mix
1½ cups water
2⁄3 cup oil
½ cup butter or margarine, softened
1 (14-oz.) can condensed milk, divided
1 (11-oz.) pkg. caramel pieces or 1 (14-oz.) pkg. wrapped caramels, unwrapped
Half of (16-oz.) can of milk chocolate frosting
1. Mix together cake mix, water, oil, softened butter or margarine, eggs and half of the can of condensed milk. Pour half of cake mixture into greased stoneware insert of slow cooker.
2. Cook for 11/2 to 2 hours on High.
3. Melt caramels with other half of condensed milk in microwave for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir and spoon over mostly firm cake mixture in slow cooker.
4. Pour remaining half of cake mixture over all and continue cooking on High for 2 hours.
5. While cake is warm in cooker, spread half of a 16-ounce can of milk chocolate frosting over top. Serve warm.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved