Makes 6 or 7 patties. Recipe is by Corinne Cook.
1 lb. fresh crabmeat
2 cups plain, Panko bread crumbs or soft bread crumbs
¼ cup finely chopped onion
¼ cup finely chopped bell pepper
¼ cup mayonnaise, add a bit more if mixture is too dry
Salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
Roasted Red Bell Pepper-Garlic Sauce:
1 (7- or 8-oz.) jar roasted red bell peppers
1 large clove garlic, peeled and put through garlic press
3 tbls. mayonnaise
Tabasco sauce, to taste, or a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1½ tbls. butter or nonstick cooking spray
3 or 4 English muffins, split and lightly toasted right before serving
Arugula, watercress or lettuce of your choice
1. Check crabmeat and remove bits of shell or cartilage.
2. Place crabmeat in medium bowl and add 2 cups bread crumbs, onions, bell pepper, egg, mayonnaise and salt and peppers to taste. If mixture appears too dry, add a bit more mayonnaise.
3. Shape mixture into 6 or 7 (3-inch) patties. Place on plate, cover and refrigerate while making the sauce.
4. Measure ¾ cup of the drained roasted bell peppers and place in food processor bowl. Squeeze 1 clove garlic into the bowl with the roasted peppers. Add mayonnaise and Tabasco or red pepper flakes to taste. Pur êe just until combined and smooth. Cover and set aside until ready to serve.
5. Add butter OR spray nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Over medium-high heat, cook crab cakes about 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until heated through.
6. To plate as open-faced sandwich: Open and lightly toast English muffin halves. Place a little arugula, watercress or lettuce over toasted half of English muffin. Top with crab cake and spoon a dollop of roasted bell pepper sauce over the top of each crab cake or pass the sauce at the table and let each person add their own sauce.
Copyright © 2011, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved