A broken light bulb ignited a house fire on Beech Street late Friday, but the homeowner escaped unharmed, the Fire Department said.
The fire at 4655 Beech St., started about 10:10 p.m. Friday, Mark Miles, a Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesman, said Saturday.
Firefighters encountered smoke when they got into the home and flames in a rear bedroom.
“The owner informed them that she had been in that room earlier and bumped the bed causing a lamp to fall over and the light bulb broke,” the release says.
Fire and heavy smoke damaged the home, estimated to be worth $120,000 before the fire.
The Fire Department estimated damage to be $65,000, the release says.
Copyright © 2015, Capital City Press LLC • 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810 • All Rights Reserved