Pat Shingleton for Friday, Jan. 4, 2013

A wind gust can extinguish the flame on a propane grill. When the flame is out, propane gas fills the grill and because it is heavier than air, the dissipation rate is slow. During cold weather, propane pools around the tank. Similar to natural gas, propane is injected with an odor that replicates rotten eggs to alert the user for leaks. “ABC World News” reported ESPN anchor Hannah Storm experienced a propane grill accident. Believing her grill was lit, she rechecked it 10 minutes later, discovering the flame had blown out. Reclicking the lighter, a wall of fire and an explosion caused first- and second-degree burns to her face and body. Manufacturers recommend opening the grill, turning off the valve and waiting 5 minutes before re-lighting.

Fastcast: Clouds return.